Is It

Markey

Reaction score
Possible to put an S4 enginge into a non quattro A4 1.8T?
Can you run it in just FWD?
Just saw one on ebay and wondered if such a thing was possible.

oooooohhh, 265bhp through the front wheels would be "interesting", but I imagine that's a huge job. Apart from the bonnet I'm guessing everything's different. I'm sure someone's done it though. A while back there was a post of an A3 or Golf with an RS4 engine shoehorned into it so anything's possible.

This is most definately possible, TSR offer this conversion for the A4. Check out this statement from their website. If you can get that engine cheap off of Ebay I reckon you could be onto a winner.

"2.7 Litre V6 30V Bi-Turbo into Bora, Corrado, Passat and A4
Our most powerful conversion by far. The 2.7 litre quad-cam 30V bi-turbo engine from the Audi S4 is used, producing 267bhp in standard form. Mated to a Motec engine management system, it is capable of 360bhp. Our kit includes engine, gearbox (2WD only), Motec M800 intercoolers, exhaust including cats and downpipes, wiring loom, cross member kit (required for 4 cylinder cars), V6 radiator (required for 4 cylinder cars) and Ramair induction kit.
There are many variations available for this transplant; RS intercoolers, bigger injectors and KO4 turbos are available at extra cost."

Sweet i im thinking i like this idea!
Just need to get a list of everything that i will need to put in with it as i wont be paying garage prices for it to be fitted.

I'm with Andymac on this. That much power through just the front wheels, it would be virtually undriveable.

And no traction means no go. So what's the point of pi$$ing away £11K on something you can't use?

is racelogic traction control by far superior too the audi one? and how much is it?

Traction control is no help whatsoever. All that does is recognise that the chassis can't handle the power, and switches it off. So, instead of "no traction, no go", you have "no power, no go". Same result, but without destroying the tyres.

I'm sure this exercise is possible, but I can't see any merit in doing it.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah when i was in at Star Performance they were putting one in a A4 estate.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a quattro though!

[ QUOTE ]
at the end of the day there is an A3 on this forum running 320BHP through it's front wheels and that seems to do ok?

Greg

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly...I dont have many problems really... So you can use the power in 2nd gear in the wet... but thats it!

Not having a go or anything so nobody take this as an insult, but alot of people have this idea wedged in their head that Quattro is the be all and end all, but its not! Alot also have the idea that fwd cars cant handle over 200bhp, again its just not the case. There are cars, fwd, running 400bhp, with few problems. Now, the A4 is less prone to wheelspin than the A3. I think its due to its longer body and longitudinally mounted engine, so again this kind of power in the A4 is not a problem. I know for a fact that when i fit a LSD in my car, that matched with the racelogic will be a winning combination... Tract problems will be no longer.

Also, someone asked if racelogic was different to audi TC. Simple answer, YES! Audi TC is complete and utter sh*te in comparison, but its OK for the average driver of the car (i.e the masses!). Racelogic is adjustable to the conditions, has launch control, and does things in a completely different manner than the Audi TC. All the audi one does is close the throttle on you, but because the cars that have it are DBW, you dont realise this. The racelogic cuts injectors in a sequence until traction is gained. This allows maximum acceleration force for the specific conditions. Believe me, to works, and it works well!

Rich

how much is it rich? because as you said, the traction control on the a4 is utter [censored]. and i have traction problems

[ QUOTE ]
how much is it rich? because as you said, the traction control on the a4 is utter [censored]. and i have traction problems

[/ QUOTE ]

Not cheap! £725+vat with launch control. Fitting takes a fair bit of time and you need wiring diagrams, for the ECU to show injector colors, ABS wheel speed sensor colours, RPM signal, .etc. Alternatively you can pay them another £400+vat for fitting and setup.... After doing it myself, its well worth the £400! Tis a real bi-atch to fit!

Rich

Just another example - I co-drive in a Volvo T5 used for tarmac rallying. Current mods mean it is approaching 290bhp and we don't do too bad. The tuner who looks at the car occasional races his own T5 which has over 500bhp.
T5's are front wheel drive!

John

Not possible to convert FWD to Quattro - different floorpan. I have tried.

I may be missing the point but could you not buy an older secondhand S4 and save a whole lot of hassle.
With the sale of your other car you could turn the S4 into your perfect car.

Just a thought!