A4 B5 Front Speaker Issues!

DriveByShooters

Editor Audi-Sport.Net Magazine
Reaction score
Ok, 1998 A4 B5. Trying to fit Vibe Black Air 5's into the factory locations.

Bought Autoleads SAK-1104 adaptor rings. (for ease)

Vibe Black Air 5's have a mounting depth of 60mm.

Here is the problem!.....The Fcukers wont fit!

Weirdly enough though, just bolting the adaptor collars in place to the doorcard (without speaker) the collar fouls on the front of the door skin!...thats even before ive even attempted to fit a speaker!!!

The collars are to adapt from a 3 bolt (audi OE) fitting to a 4 bolt 130mm speaker yet there are only 6 holes in them! 3 to bolt them to the door card and.....errr.....3 left to bolt a 4 hole speaker to!

The collars only seem to go one way round, 2 screws at the bottom and one at the top. The triangle is not equal so you cant twist them 90 degrees either!

Spoken to a few fellow B5 owners and they havent had a problem. Am i being REALLY stoopid here and missing something blindingly obvious!

Maybe wrong part, possibly A3 ones you have??? Do you have a part no on them to cross reference where you got them from???

They are badly designed but they should at least fit. Are you sure you are mounting them the right way round, i.e. what happens if you turn them over? They will also leae a gaping hole all the way round the speaker which isn't great acoustically.
The main problem with the B5 fronts is the magnet size as it fouls part of the inner skin. I had to trim the inner skin to get my Rainbow 230slx's to fit, but I was using MDF collars which adds a bit to the depth.

i found the adaptors to be awful.

I fitted some infinity components to the old FWD, and they sounded worse than the standard speakers. On removing them i discovered the adaptor was pressing against the rubber "suspension" around the cone. Threw them in the bin and refitted the original speakers.

On the Quattro again i've kept the original speakers, but powered them from a proper 4channel amp, and they now sound good enough that its just not worth messing around with anything else.

I've tried them every which way possible. They just don't seem to want to fit. The collars are definitely going on the right way round as they even have bevelled surfaces on the 3 mounting points where they contact the 3 lugs on the door card. The inner circle lines up perfectly with the circle on the door card too. There is a tiny gap between the speaker and the collar but planned to seal that with some sealant.

Not even at that stage yet though, it would be nice to actually get the collar on it's own to fit firstly.

must be wrong one remember one of the screw holes is used to hold the speaker aswell as the adaptor ie a longer screw ,get a pic up so we can see , ive fitted many of these never had a problem with it actually fitting to the door card tho .

collar.jpg

You are just special mate i swear.LOL

I will take that card off again later and see if i can show how it fits?

This is Plan B.
014.jpg

And this is Plan C....(obviously in mock up testing stage)

008.jpg

Neither of them I'm overly convinced about as I would rather keep it all hidden and stealthy!

Just cut away that part of the inner skin on the door. You'll have to do this anyway as the speaker will foul it, it's only a few mm's

Just cut away that part of the inner skin on the door. You'll have to do this anyway as the speaker will foul it, it's only a few mm's

That was my next step....I would rather not but if i have to, then I have to. Seems a little odd that the Autoleads collars foul though.