Badger5Volks Autos
    gmx
    1st Gear

Status

B5 Audio issues & Replacement

Has anyone come across cheap fix for the Concert I HUs or any seller/repairer that sells a replacement or better IC for DIY soldering?

I'm also looking to replace front speakers with an adapter to 130mm
    Do I need to replace the tweeters or can I leave them?
    Is there an OEM "crossover" in place? If so, can I just reuse that with replacement aftermarket speakers?
    00 A4 1.8TQS GP MT AJL
    JHM SSK | FX300 + 16lbs FW | Milltek Dump back
    17*8 BBS RK | Deka ETX20L | Vogtland GT 575F/675R | H-Sport 35mm(F)/22.5mm(R) ARBs
    034 Engine Mts | Stern Snub/ Rear Diff Insert/Power Ring
    GT2871R Elim | Custom ME5 | 034 3" DP | 034 HFM | 034 TIP | ER Comp IC

2. # ADS
    ADS

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    OEM crossover is an inline capacitor.

I've left the speakers alone, but driven them from a proper 4 channel amp. Totally transforms how they sound.

I also dumped the concert as its pretty rubbish, the aftermarket head unit also improved the sound quality no end!

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

Status
    I would definitely get rid of the concert there living in the dark ages of sound quality !
    1999 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport - Volcano Black

Mods - Frankenturbo F21 Kit - 3" MAF - Saab Reds - THS Decat - Non Res Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - PFR6Q Plugs - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount
    To do/planned -Eibach pro's - GT2871/76R + FMIC + ME7 (maybe) + Engine/stroker Build

gmx
    1st Gear

Status
    I'd love to but I'm on a tight budget. Already stretching it by choosing to replace the front speakers instead of reglueing the dust caps on the Oem ones.
    The std sound system is fine for me. I'm not an audiophile - nor do I have the ears to be one!!
    If anything I would probably just get another used concert for $50 (yea, it will eventually fail) but the volume isn't so bad yet.

With the OEM crossover being inline I guess it would as simple as using the existing wiring.

With random googling I've come across some threads where plastic adapters are a nono but none of them explain why. I suppose it's due to the additional vibration they may induce as they're not a part of the abs injection molded door trim (1 piece vs 2).
    Has anyone gone from 4" to 5.25" using any of these:
    Audi speaker adaptors Fitting Adaptor - Car Audio Direct
    CT25AU03 Speaker Fitting Adapter for Audi A4 Front Door 130 mm
    Autoleads SAK-1104
    Last edited by gmx; 30th April 2011 at 03:54.
    00 A4 1.8TQS GP MT AJL
    17*8 BBS RK | Deka ETX20L | Vogtland GT 575F/675R | H-Sport 35mm(F)/22.5mm(R) ARBs

Status
    They are all rubbish, nothing to do with vibration, just the fact they don't fit properly and leave a huge gap between the new speaker and the baffle. TBH if you are leaving everything else stock then upgrading just the speakers is a waste of money, it may even sound worse. No aftermarket speakers will sound good screwed to a flimsy door card and driven from the 2 x 12wrms the Concert "kicks" out
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

1st Gear

Status
    ditch the concert there nothing but trouble plus sound is like from a grammerphone compared lol
    heres what i did to give you an idea

am getting the blue parts recovered soon in the same cream leather but still sounds awsome

Neutral

Status
    or you could go for something like this..

4th Gear

Status
    its all down to the install and proper use of materials but still the a4s are very poor design when installing speakers
    99 Nogaro S4 now black bonnet and roof,blackdiamond discs and pads,Hybrid K04 with uprated actuators ,Rs4 clutch custom lightweight flywheel, esp lightweight pulley set ,Rs4 intake pipes ,rs4 mounts ,full samco hose set,F-hose delete ,BMC carbon induction, full stainless exhaust with de cat pipes, custom chip,18"ultra lights,LED rear clusters,6000k xenons ,LED sides,KW coilovers,powerflex bushes ,Boost guage in pillar pod,isotta steering wheel and gearknob,B&M short shifter

gmx
    1st Gear

Status
    Looks like my post didn't actually... post here.
    Just for reference and if anyone else comes across this in the future.
    I've decided to just go with a minimum cost approach since music/audio is just not one of my interests.

I will be repairing/reglue the standard speakers.
    Remanufacturered concert for about $20 - swap microprocessors. It's a US version so I don't think it'll work here..
    Soundproof the door card and inner skin moderately.
    00 A4 1.8TQS GP MT AJL