Mot work started + a few DTCs i need help with!

S4_dan

Fire up the Quattro!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Right, started work on the Audi by going through the fail sheet. Fuel filter off but turns out the replacement one is incorrect.

Plugged laptop into car (laptop not been used for a long time!) Anyway, For some reason vag-com wouldn't register so it wouldn't show me any fault codes descriptions but i could see the DTC codes. They were:

P1602
P0134
P0154 I
P1559 I
P1565 I
P1338 I
P1392 I

I = Intermittant.

I did manage to clear the codes and started the car for 5 mins. Although I didnt drive it due to me stripping the brakes on the rear for a clean up. Did another scan on the car and NO codes came back. But maybe the engine didnt get upto to correct temp if any of the above codes are sensor related??

Anoyone know what the codes relate to please??

What a PIG the fuel filter was!! The bolt had seized and ended up breaking the plastic so now im going too ave to improvise in fastening the new filter on!!

All fun & games!!

Cheers,

Dan

18010/P1602/005634 - Power Supply B+ Terminal 30: Voltage too Low
Possible Causes
Cables on the Battery were removed
Battery weak (voltage)
Generator Disfunction
Possible Solutions
Check Battery Cables
Check/Replace Battery
Check/Replace Generator

16538/P0154/000340 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B2 S1: No Activity
Possible Symptoms
Lambda Closed-Loop Control switches to Open-Loop Control
Increased Fuel Consumption
Emission Levels not OK
Spark Plugs become covered with Soot (might lead to misfire)
Rough Idle
Possible Causes
Lambda Sensor faulty (dirty)
Lambda Sensor Heating faulty
Lambda Sensor Wiring faulty
Possible Solutions
Check/Clean Lambda Sensor
Check Lambda Sensor Heating
Check Lambda Sensor Wiring

17967/P1559/005465 - Throttle Body (J338): Fault in Basic Settings
Possible Symptoms
Not known
Possible Causes
Idle Switch Open or Open Circuit
Throttle Valve sticks and won't close
Speed Impuls from Engine Speed Sensor (G28) recognized
Possible Solutions
Perform Throttle Body Adaptation

17973/P1565/005477 - Throttle Actuator (J338): Lower Stop not Reached
Possible Symptoms
Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) active
Possible Causes
Throttle Actuator (J338) dirty (carbonized)
Throttle Actuator (J338) faulty
Possible Solutions
Check/Clean Throttle Actuator (J338)

17746/P1338/004920 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40): Open or Short to Plus
Possible Symptoms
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) active
Possible Causes
Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) faulty
Wiring/Connectors from/to Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) faulty
Possible Solutions
Check Camshaft Adjustment
Check Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)
Check Wiring/Connectors from/to Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)

17800/P1392/005010 - Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 2 (G163): Open Short to Plus
Possible Symptoms
Power Loss at Full Throttle
High Fuel Consumption
Bad Emission Values
Possible Causes
Wiring between Engine Control Module and Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 2 (G163) faulty
Power Supply/Ground Wiring from/to Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 2 (G163) faulty
Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 2 (G163) faulty
Engine Control Module faulty
Possible Solutions
Check Wiring between Engine Control Module and Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 2 (G163)
Power Supply/Ground Wiring from/to Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 2 (G163) faulty
Check Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 2 (G163)
Check Engine Control Module

I cant find P0134 in their list. The last two are due to the cambelt being snapped and me trying to start the car.
Not sure why the throttle codes have come up?

Lambda sensor could be the cause of my high emissions. But code hasn't come back on since reseting it. Hopefully lucky on this one!!

Dan

P0134 is o2 sensor on bank 1.
prolly need to give it a proper run befoer they come back on, but likely explains the emissions, as iirc from your other thread the emissions test showed the lambda value was out.

Yeah the Lambda was out too. The mot tester said it was most likey due to the emissions being so high that the Lambda cant correct the value?!

Will give the car a good drive and re-scan for any DTC's, probably on monday. Re-test is on tuseday all being well.

Have you had a flat battery or disconnected it. The first one P1602 is most offten found after a disconnection or flat battery (remap can also cause the same error code at the time of mapping) the other fault codes could in a large part be brought on by this. I would as you say you are doing and clear down all the codes drive and see what comes back. Don't be surprised if most of them don't come back.

If lambda 1 is dead the car will default run rich to protect it's self. If it doesn't come alive you will need to replace or the lambda target and protection won't be working and the ECU won't be a happy bunny..

A

Last edited:
Which is lambda one on my car? The only sensors i can see are very close to where the exhaust fastens to the exhaust manifold. Accessed from top of engine, one on each side. They are the only sensors in the exhaust i can see.

Have found that Bank 1 means it on the side where #1 cylinder is. So in my case, it's the drivers side sensor. on the OBD-CODES.COM site, it says that the code can come on due to a hole in the exhaust. Well, about 1 inch from where the sensor is fitted in the exhaust is the flange for joining the exhaust manifold and exhaust together. There was only 2 out of 3 studs present and a lot of exhaust paste filling a hole/gap. So i'm hoping it is that which has put the light on. All 3 studs are back on now so its nice and tight and leak free!

I'm off to the car today to refit the pig of a fuel filter so i'll get the car nice and hot and do some scans after.

Cheers for all your help/suggestions so far.

Dan