Brake questions from Newbie

I

imported_S4420480

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and as normal for newbie's I have a couple of questions.

I have a '98 S4 and the problem I have is that the ABS warning light comes on with the flashing red (!) accompanied by 3 beeps. This is an intermittant fault that never appears on start up going to work in the morning but always happens at the end of the day going home. I have had diagnostics done at Germania in Newport and they have by a process of elimination diagnosed that the ABS controller is not "talking" to the car. The ABS does work. They have tried a working ABS controller from another S4 and this cured the fault. Therefore my question is where can I get an ABS controller from without going to the stealers and paying £700-800? Would aa ABS controller from another model be suitable?

My other query is when travelling below 20mph there is ticking noise from the car that increases/decreases relative to speed. When the brakes are applied the noise stops. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? Also, I was wondering if it could be related to my first question.

Thanks for any help given

Chris

I am having that warning especially on cold mornings and people here have led me to believe that it is not brake related but a problem with the battery just not being able to keep its charge as well as day one.

I came to this conclusion after i had a full brake service done. And they found nothing wrong.