Frightening experience - No Brakes!

J

jonnycraig

Just drove the 32 miles home from work, exit the motorway brake pedal goes all the way to the floor with minimal resistance and little braking, pumping got the brakes to work enough to get stopped.

No lights, no leaks and reservoir is full, pumping hardened them up again and they worked again as before!

Anyone any idea whats goin and what I should be checking?

J

Cheers, just had a read, very similar. With the engine off Im able to build pressure up so the pedal is hard, Im hoping that indicates that the master cylinder is fine, Im not loosing any fluid, so thats puzzling only solution would be to see what state the pads are in, there was a day or two now I think about it that there was a cluck when braking hard from the drivers side wheel area, strange...needs investigating..

Cheers

J

Just done my brakes all round as I had a clunk on the front that turned out to be the pad material had separated from the back and was moving about

Last edited:
Just a quick update of what the prob was. The caliper piston had failed then managed to create a minimal oil seal again waiting for me to brake hard, completely fail and prob not stop in time!! So new discs, pads and a refurb caliper + labour - £140 lighter Im stopping again :)

Thanks for all your help again guys

J