Failed it's MOT today

S4_dan

Fire up the Quattro!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Well guys, Car failed today. Not happy.

1 - Offside side repeater insecure - Now secured.

2 - Fuel system component leaking - Fuel Filter, bleeding thing was fine two weeks ago! Easy fix.

3 - (Both) headlamp aim too high - Again, easy fix

4 - Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle excessive - How do i get this down?! Was revved for ages to try and lower but lowest reading was 0.561% needs to be 0.300%

5 - Exhaust emissions Lambda reading after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits - due to number 4!

6 - Rear brake application uneven - O/S/R caliper wants freeing up as its sticking.

Mainly little things. But how the heck do i get the emissions down? Car has been stood for about 8months before i rebuilt the engine. It's been running for about a total of 90mins idling and i gave it a sprightly drive to the testing station but still wasnt enough to clean it up.

Also, got an advisory for insecure headlamps. As far as i'm aware, i refitted them perfectly. But must of missed something.

Any advice guys?

Cheers,

Dan

It surprising what a good service will do to lower the emissions. And if that doesn't work, perhaps a dose of "cataclean" It's a very good product that does as it name suggests.......

Google it, you'll find it.

For your emissions its either a faulty lambda sensor or a dead cat.

I would expect however that given it specifically mentions the lambda value is incorrect, its probably the sensor. A dead cat usually means the lambda value is spot on, but the CO figure is too high. A scan with vagcom will probably confirm.

For your emissions its either a faulty lambda sensor or a dead cat.

I would expect however that given it specifically mentions the lambda value is incorrect, its probably the sensor. A dead cat usually means the lambda value is spot on, but the CO figure is too high. A scan with vagcom will probably confirm.

Agree with that, but I always try the cheapest option first.....

Do you do short round town trips? or motorway? or a combination of the two?

Short trips are a nightmare for putting the emissions up......

You could even just take it down the motorway for a couple of junctions, that'll give it a bit of a clear out.

Sensor is the cheapest option :p Really need to vagcom first though to see which sensor is faulty.

I think he suggested in his post that hes given it a decent drive before the MOT, and most decent testers will hold the engine at 3000rpm for quite a few minutes in an attempt to get the emissions to come down. Its also a freshly rebuilt engine, so less likely to be gunked up inside from short journeys!

I've heard of cataclean so will try that.

This is first time i've driven the car properly. I bought it a non runner and it had only covered just over 1k miles since its last mot which it passed fine. So it's due to the car being stood i guess for the emissions. I'll go and scan the car tomorrow with vag-com and see what comes up.

I cant really take it along the A64 due to no tax/mot. Dont want it taking of me and getting crushed! lol

Book an MOT at a garage 5 or 10 miles away :)

You can then legally drive the car to said MOT.

Reactions: Alan H
Sensor is the cheapest option? Thought they were about £60 each and presumably you need 2 on the S4!

Its my 2.8 V6 Quattro that needss moting. My S4 was sold :-( Biggest regret of my life!

But there is still two sensors on the 2.8 and still gotta be cheaper than two cats!?

Well neither of my sensors work since having the CATs replaced and it passed OK (amazingly), and they didn't even charge me the obligatory tenner for the headlight "adjustment"!

Hi dan where do you purchase you fuel from?
May be try Shell V Power, Tesco 99 Ron or BP ultimate it might make some difference to emissions