afn tdi clutch gone... advice please

fARQUARE

Reaction score
Well, came off the moterway tonight after my 60 mile commute home to discover the clutch pedal has gone really light and the clutch is beginning to slip.

Symptoms:
Light pedal with little/no "push back" from the clutch pedal
vibration when engaging the clutch

Car is on 194k and I imagine the original clutch, the biting point has been pretty much at the top of the pedal travel as long as i have had the car (6 months) so i expected the clutch would go in the not too distant..

Big problem is time and money - isn't it always!

I'm aware that there is a SMF flywheel and clutch conversion, or i could just go down the stock route.

Question is what would you replace the clutch with and roughly how much it would cost
If i could picck up an oem clutch kit what else would i be advised to change whilst it was all apart?
if i go down the SMF route can you point me in the direction of part numbers and suppliers.

Time is a massive factor here, i do 120 miles to and from work a day and this week (year end) is probably the busiest week at work for me. So I'll be looking to get this repaired asap to avoid having to commute on the motorbike in the rain.

You may now take the floor...............

If it is AFN it has a DMF, only AHU had single mass flywheel. Stick with genuine clutch and flywheel if you can or fit solid flywheel if you intend to keep it for not too long. Go for a valeo clutch though if going single mass or stay with sachs or LUK if DMF...

Well the clutch has been diagnosed as the culprit, question now is what do I replace it with?
If i replace with a new DMF clutch (if the flywheel appears to be in good order) what is the likelihood of the flywheel letting go in the not to distant future?
If i have to replace flywheel and clutch what would you do given the car has been re-mapped and i plan on getting some new 0.216 nozzles in the future; stick with a new DMF flywheel/clutch combo or go down the SMF route?
And finally if you were to go down the SMF route can you recommend any kits that would be good (given the DMF flywheel and clutch is approx £450)
thanks

If you are going to further tune your motor then look for a single mass flywheel and stronger clutch. Here is a link for a strong clutch able to cope with 520nm of torque, its not cheap though... TDI Kupplungkit bis 550 Nm 228mm on eBay (end time 14-Apr-11 15:14:58 BST) On my new project (swapping a 1.9 tdi into a 98 audi a4 v6 tdi quattro) i am going for AHU solid flywheel and s2 clutch but i have a 6 speed gearbox... The s2 clutch is 240mm and will fit 5 speed gearboxes too but some will require grinding of the bellhousing to clear the pressure plate.

adam: the 5 speed boxes are used on the petrol V6 engines which have 240mm clutches as standard... Why does the bellhousing need modified at all?

Solid fly and S2 clutch is what i have waiting to be fitted :)

adam: the 5 speed boxes are used on the petrol V6 engines which have 240mm clutches as standard... Why does the bellhousing need modified at all?

There is a little meat on the inside on wich the flywheel and clutch does rub on some gearboxes. The v6 had 240mm as standard and DMF and has the required clearance, if you put a normal 5 speed box and a v6 5 speed box you will notice the differences...

Every 5 speed quattro B5 gearbox is externally identical, they're all 012 boxes and they all have the same casing (012 301 103 AD). (the only exception is a 5 speed 01E fitted to some 2.5 v6 tdi's)

So unless the actual clutch assy with the S2 conversion sticks out more than a genuine 240mm clutch and flywheel i cant see what the problem could be...

Last edited:
i've got to decide by tomorrow, what would you do??

S2 clutch kit is 180 from ecp, if that would fit it would give me a couple of quid to find a solid flywheel

*** third time i`ve typed this out. Stupid laptop deleting it!!!

Right that clutch is no good. You need a 3B clutch. That one from Euros is for an ABY engine which wont fit as its for a dualmass and 6 speed. 3B is 5 speed and solid fly.

Everything you need to know is here: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-s4-...eel-audi-s2-clutch-conversion-beginnings.html

Go to German and Swedish and get the same LUK kit that Euros list for 3B kit but instead of £250 odd its £186 plus vat and i know its right where as Euros are useless most of the time.

Oh and the Valeo single mass kits from Euros or where ever else are alright and work out about the same as the S2 conversion but if you wish to upgrade down the line the valeo fly will only allow you to fit another valeo clutch and nothing else.

Oh and the Valeo single mass kits from Euros or where ever else are alright and work out about the same as the S2 conversion but if you wish to upgrade down the line the valeo fly will only allow you to fit another valeo clutch and nothing else.

Thanks for all the feedback on this reply, in the end i decided to go down the oem route. GSF provided a new LUK DMF flywheel and a sachs 228mm clutch for £380 after redeeming my SVAG discount.

I opted against the SMF kit after the guys said a number of people have had to convert back again after having trouble with the clutch and nothing else fitting. I was also put off the audi 80/s2 route due to having to get bits drilled/machined - this is a high mileage daily so I needed it back quick and as economically and relaibly as possible.

Got my rear axle bushes fitted at the same time - what a transformation! I'd had coilovers and a full control arm/top mount kit fitted about 6 weeks ago and this has made a massive difference over and above.

Anyone with a FWD b5, get these fitted ASAP.

Sounds good. Will have to have a look at getting those bushes done soon then. Might have a little test with the heavy duty items listed as a possible upgrade :sly:

The bushes made a massive difference to mine, felt like someone had snuck in some uprated springs and shocks. Car no longer wallowed about and felt much more planted and solid thru the bends.