TDI Injector clean, Failed!!

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
I was hoping for this to be all positive and happy but sadly its not.
It all started well but ended badly. I need some Injector help, Check this post http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=116652
Back to this one.

I removed all my injectors, stripped them down and dropped each on in to the sonic cleaner, For no other reasons than I thought it be a good idea to give them a clean. with the injectors being 12 years old and 120k on them.
This idea and thought was fine, had it all planned out, did some searching, bought the parts and booked a weekend off with my dad so we can do his as well.

I arrived at my dads at about 14:00 on thursday, so started with one of the tasks which was coolant flush and thermostat change. That all went well, no issues.
So I started on the injectors, again, all went well no issues.

I took them out and stripped them down.
262.jpg

put them in to the basic ready to be put in to the sonic cleaner
264.jpg

And put them into the sonic cleaner.
265.jpg

Reassembled and compared to the none cleaned injectors.
266.jpg

All done.
268.jpg

With use of a injector and some cleaning solution I checked the spray pattern and it was so much better.
Really happy and full enthusiasm we set about taking my dads apart and doing the same process.
267.jpg

When reassembling one of the injectors i noticed there was a extra shim, the others had 1 and this one had 2. No ideas why or where I came from we left out. kind of stupid thinking on it now. but any way.
Fitted them all back in to the car and attempted to start it.
After a couple of cranks it fired up with a puff of white smoke and shacking all over the place.
Left it for a bit thinking there was some cleaner, to much fuel or air in the lines and waited.
Nothing happened, it just stayed the same.
Thought it was that shim, so shut it all down and took the injector out that the same came from.
Refitted the shim in to the only place where it could have fitted and put it back in to the car.
This time its even worth. more smoke and more shake (there very little last time, almost bearable.).
Thinking its even worse we took the injector out and removed the shim but in doing so we noticed that one of the lug was flattened and the other one had a little bit of it flattened. ******!!
Thats the issues, I broke it when I rebuilding it at some point.
Removed the broken and thought if there is any way to fix it but could not come up with any thing, plus its not something I really want to bodge back together or do a quick fix on it.

I phoned up VW, they wanted £112 for a new one if I return my old one, happy days I thought.
Then they said it only Audi can order it. ******, I'll phone audi and see what they say.
£170ish and a ten day waiting period. Sod that, phoned up some other places and they are all quoting close to the £200 mark and thought noooo, lets see what breakers have. I can clean them, so no bother.
But nooo breakers dont have any and i'm 140odd miles away from home with no car and a boot full of stuff.
It looks like my car is staying here and i'll be busing it home and buying parts off ebay.
Well, thats my start to the weekend.

Hope yours is better.

P.S. My dads Nissan Patrol runs sweet as a nut now. Luck *******!!

Least you fixed your dads, surely you now have the right to his keys till yours is fixed!!!!:sob:

Least you fixed your dads, surely you now have the right to his keys till yours is fixed!!!!:sob:

His now runs really well.
Over last couple of months we've stripped down front and rear axles, cleaned, refurbed, new shocks and springs, bearings, pads and disk, New clutch and now done his injectors.
Running better than ever I think. He's got his love of it back again.
I just need to remove the Blue washer jets and blue side lights.

I bought a new injector from a VW breakers and the car is running fine now.
Not much change on the MPG compared to going up but it seems a bit better on idle and responsiveness.
Still a good learning experience.