It's alive!!

S4_dan

Fire up the Quattro!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Spent the day rebuilding the engine in my 2.8 V6 Avant. I bought 2 used heads off an A8 for £250 all in. Plus new headgaskets, waterpump etc etc. Nearly £600 spent on new bits for it.

It took some cranking over before is fired on all cylinders, but now it starts on the the turn of the key!

Little bit 'tapperty' still but could be due to needing a good flush and service.

All in all, very pleased, pulls ok and no water/oil leaking out anywhere.

Now time to service the brakes and get it through its mot!

Car now stands at £1100 for me. In my eyes, a bargain for a 2.8 V6 Quattro avant in very good condition.

Dan

NIce one.
The first time you start and run the car after a rebuild is the worse time for me.
All the possible problems and out comes flash through my mind just before I turn that key.

Well done for doing it and it working.

Cheers guys. The timing belt was a 'biggie' for me as i've never done a V6 before, nor have i done a cam sprocket without timing marks!!

With the heads off the engine at TDC, what i assumed what cylinder 1, the piston was at the bottom and cylinder 3 was at the top. I always thought the cylinder closest to the timing belt was number 1!

After an hour scratching my head and my mate his, went just went with it! the TDC marks on the crank couldnt be wrong and we found cam timing marks on the camshafts so went ahead anyway and tested by cranking by hand first! All went smoothly! Thank god! lol

Does anyone know how to adjust the clutch? The 'bite' is high up on the pedal and wondering if this can be adjusted?

Overall, very pleased with the car. My biggest regret was selling my S4!!

Dan