Oil light comes on going round corners then goes off again??

J

jonnycraig

Started last night after a few miles of driving, a long sweeping motorway exit and the oil light came on and beeped 3 times, stayed on for about 30 secs then went out. Same again today.

Had oil change and filters about 1000 - 1500 miles ago and checked oil earlier, its about 1/2 way on the dipstick marker. Engine was still warm so some oil might still be up around the engine. Ive put in a little just incase but anyone any clues

Thanks

Jonny

Thats oil pressure.

Probably an engine thats full of sludge and has a blocked pickup.

Might be worth giving it a flush and oil change again.

Thanks Aragorn as always :) can you recommend a good engine flush as there seems to be a few at different £ and the most expensive isnt always the best. Ive been told that it could be that the guy in the garage who serviced the car used the wrong oil and as it heated up over the last 1000 miles or so its broken down and become thin.

I think flush and new oil / filter again wouldnt do any harm

J

i would get the sump pulled and the pick up cleaned personally

Is there a lot of work involved in this or is it simply drop the oil, sump off, clean the whole area down and bolt back together. Is there a gasket to replace/watch out for round the sump.

J

Just had a horrid thought! My car sits quite low, would catching a speedbump do it? Im not loosing any oil that I can see, the plastic bottom cover has never been on my car in the time that Ive had it so that aint gonna help either. Leaving everything exposed!

J

If you're worried about catching your sump, get a Panzer Plate from Diesel Geeks. It would have saved me the cost of an engine had I had one fitted from the start! :crying:
Although in your case I don't think that's your problem if you don't have oil all over the road.

no catching the sump wouldnt do it unless all the oil has exited thru a hole :p

As for a good flush, i'd drain a litre of oil out and replace it with a litre of diesel fuel, then run the engine for 10-15mins at a fast idle, then drain and refill with good oil and a new filter.

Ideally i'd be fitting a pressure gauge to see whats going on.

i would still recommend pulling the sump it's not that difficult just a little time consuming.
it will depend on your engine code as to whether you need a gasket or not.
maybe fit a magnetic sump plug this time round too, as well as the extra large filter.

if you are pulling the sump, change or recondition you oil pump (depending on how old condition etc)
I have a recon pump if you are saving pennies

i would still recommend pulling the sump it's not that difficult just a little time consuming.
it will depend on your engine code as to whether you need a gasket or not.
maybe fit a magnetic sump plug this time round too, as well as the extra large filter.

Its not exactly easy either though?

On an A4 you need to lift the engine and/or lower the subframe, and even then its a pig to get out.

Its not exactly easy either though?

On an A4 you need to lift the engine and/or lower the subframe, and even then its a pig to get out.

you leave it, chance a flush, lunch the engine through oil starvation ?

no it's not changing a sidelight bulb but its not exactly a cambelt either.

:Flush: Hanging head in shame.

Umm turned out to be the coolant level :huh:

Don't know how I missed that one, it clearly wasnt the oil can but the wavey lines and the thermometer

Awh well, least its sorted for now!

Thanks Guys!!!

J :haha: