JMB RetrofitsSky Insurance

Thread: New AIr Filter

Neutral

Status

New AIr Filter

I just bought and installed a K&N air filter for my 98 A4 2.8. I can't say that I am sure I feel any power gains, but it is a little louder. I think it might feel a little sharper, but that could be just a placeabo effect.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status

Re: New AIr Filter

yes i have the same panel filter, i thought i felt some change, like a bit of smoother throttle response but I'm probably having the placeabo effect too. Make sure you clean the filter every so often!

Neutral

Status

I am asuming that like me you drive your car pratically every day and are very familiar with the way it feels and drives. I think that maybe since we know our cars pretty well, we can feel the slight changes the filter makes to the way the car feels. By the way, how often do you have to clean the filter? On another note, I made the appointment to get all of my parts installed on my car on thursday. I will try to post some before and after pics, but with my computer literacy, I'm not promising anything.

6th Gear

Status

Carefull with the K&Ns. Because their oiled, the MAF sensor get's covered in oily crap. Eventually you'll see a decrease in performance, or un-usual boosting due to incorrect airflow info going to the ecu

Neutral

Status

Has this been a problem for the 2.8?

imported_dumpvalve

It can be a problem for any car with a MAF unit, whether it be a 1.8T, 2.8, or whatever.

Basically the operative part of the MAF is a wire/filament that increases or decreases in heat in correlation to the amount and velocity of air and passed over it. Then this value of heat is fed to the ECU, which in turn balances air, fuel and various other parameters accordingly. If the MAF gets gunked up it loses the ability to translate air flow into temperature accurately. Subsequently the ECU receives inaccurate instructions. As Auroan says, you can end up with dodgy performance.

The argument against oiled filters is that the oil can quickly contaminate the MAF, and therefore cause bad running. However, it's something that is often debated. Many people swear blind that it doesn't make a difference whether the filter is oiled or not; others see oiled filters as the work of satan himself.

I personally think that using an oiled panel or cone is probably ok, provided you don not over-oil the filter. Also, the MAF can fail for a number of other reasons. I think mine is playing up at the moment and my induction is completely standard.

At the end of the day, I think it's 50/50. Don't over-oil the filter and keep an eye on any flat-spots or hesitation. If you do end up with performance problems then check the MAF. But I'd put money on the chance of some people never experiencing MAF problems due to oiled filters. But then again, some will.

Drew.

Neutral

Status

true Drew
    true....

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

1st Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Drew 2226 said:
    others see oiled filters as the work of satan himself.

Drew.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn satan and his oiled filters!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif[/img]