EM TuningMonster Motorsport
    Fire up the Quattro!

Status

A4 2.8 V6 Q Avant...poorly

Hi guys,

My car finally arrived today, over 5 hours late!

Anyway, topped the water up, checked oil levels and put a bit of charge into the battery.

Bought the car as a non runner, with no life in battery or jump leads when i went to view the car, i took a risk and bought it anyway as it was, in my eyes, still a bargain!

Mate stood at front with timing belt covers off whilts i cranked the engine with short turns!

My original idea of what had happened seems to be a good diagnose of the engine problem.

CRANK is turning, the cams are NOT! The belt does have good tension and is not snapped , so my theory is that some of the belts teeth have worn away.

My questions are.....

Is there a guide to removing the front of that car to access the belts better?

Is this a common issue on AKN/V6 Audi engines?

I'm aware its an interferrence engine, but this apparantly happened when he went to start the car from being parked up, could the damage still be severe to the valves/pistons?

Any other poiinters to throw at me?

Cheers guys.

Dan
    Last edited by S4_dan; 14th March 2011 at 19:19.
    2002 2.5 V6 Quattro
    Mods Done: Q5 Rear aero wiper. Front ambient light install. Led number plate lens. Towbar with 13pin electrics.
    Mods to complete: Sport shocks to go with Eibach pro springs. Fit 17" 5 star matt black wheels. Fix lack of torque at low revs. Get a custom exhaust system fitted.

FOR SALE - Eibach Pro Sport springs for a 2.5 V6 B6/7 PM ME.

2. # ADS
    ADS

flat out

Status
    to remove the front you have to set aside about 3-4 hours the first time and make sure you have cover to work under as its not easy to chuck it all back.
    have a nose about on here AudiWorld Tech Articles
    2001 1.8T B5 Black A4 Avant Votex kit and Ecru Leather

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Its almost certain you will have lunched the valves.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    MY guess would be crank pulley failure . Not hear of it on a v6, but always a first time.

Given the price of the belt and pulley, it's prob worth stripping the front and looking at nailing a belt on and tryng it anyway. If it's broke take the heads off, if not, happy days.. You needed the parts anyway

Fire up the Quattro!

Status
    It did it from standstill not whilst running. My 2.5 V6 TDi A6 belt snapped at 65mph! That did 6 valves in.

I've got a belt and tensioner ordered. Pick that up friday from VW for 81.

I have fitted timing belts before, but never on a V6. Also, I have never used locking tools and always got them right. Can i get away without using the cam locking tool on these V6's? Or do i definately need them?!

If the heads have to come off, then so be it. I have valve spring compressor tool and torque wrench etc so I can manage. I will just need the sequence and torques for reffitting thee heads etc.
    2002 2.5 V6 Quattro
    Mods Done: Q5 Rear aero wiper. Front ambient light install. Led number plate lens. Towbar with 13pin electrics.
    Mods to complete: Sport shocks to go with Eibach pro springs. Fit 17" 5 star matt black wheels. Fix lack of torque at low revs. Get a custom exhaust system fitted.

Fire up the Quattro!

Status

UPDATE

Well, removed the bumper etc today (cant get the friggin viscous fan off though! So left it in situ for now!) This is waht i found....my theory from the begginning is correct, kind of! Belt has shredded some teeth around the crank pulley. The cause? Looks like the idler pulley has collapsed causing a bit of slack around the crank pulley......

Nice ball bearing sat in the pulley!

So its heads off and inspect the valves!!! I'm not going to bother just chucking a belt on and trying.
    2002 2.5 V6 Quattro

6th Gear

Status
    Yeah, it needs a full top end rebuild...
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

Fire up the Quattro!

Status
    Well, spent 2 n half hours today stripping the engine! Glad i did. Turns out there was more to it than originally thought! The water pump had a plastic impeller and alot of that was missing! Which i've found by swooping my finger into the pump housing and fishing out the broken bits!!

14 valves bent, water pump goosed, hydraulic tensioner seized.......

Here is a link to the pics..... CLICKY

Dan
    2002 2.5 V6 Quattro