My leaking issue is back

skinnyman9000

Reaction score
Firstly chaps, i have a 96 Audi A4 tdi.

I had an issue with water leaking into the passenger footwell and setting the alarm off. I had the front panel across the windscreen off and had a check around the pollen filter. I cleaned out a few blocked gutters and this seemed to solve the problem, but we've had some rain tonight and it appears to be back, but its leaking from a slightly different spot. I've taken some photos to show people.

This is where the water is leaking into the car:
Picture2.jpg

So its not coming down the bulk head, its more near the front wing/passenger door joint.

I've had a look under the bonnet and when i pure water down the windscreen there is a starter stream of water down here that heads under the battery, but i dont think this is the source of the leak as the water disappears off somewhere:
Picture1.jpg

I had a dig around in the front wing near the windscreen and i could a gap down the back of the front wing. Could water be getting into this gap and running down where shown in the first photo:
Picture3.jpg

Any help appreciated guys as i could do without the alarm waking up the whole street at 2am every time it rains

Have you cleared out the drain hole underneath the battery (and also the one further along behind the servo)?
This is the biggest cause of leaks into the footwell. The drain holes use a rubber grommet supposedly to direct the water away from the boddywork, but they are essentially the perfect design to get blocked incredibly easily and are best removed or at least the flanges cut shorter.
I had 5 litres of water under the carpets and in the foam, dried the whole thing out (took a day), unplugged the drain holes and 12 months later the same thing happened. When I investigated the drains this time they were literally blocked with a fine sandlike substance, no leaves or debris, so I removed the grommets and never had an issue since. These are the culprits:
Draingrommetcloseup.jpg

This is the drain with grommer removed:
DrainholeB5.jpg

Your missing the rain catcher thats supposed to sit on top of the pollen filter by the looks of it. The water will just be ******* thru the filter into the heater blower then leaking out into the footwell.

Thanks for that fella. i'll get the battery off tomorrow and have a gander. Seems an odd place for the water to leak though, i would imagine it to run down the back of the bulkhead if it gathers there rather than where it is. I'll have a gander though

Well the filter looks like its been getting wet to me, hence the query. The gutter slots in to two catches on the sides of the filter housing, and if its not in properly you'll get water running down onto and thru the filter.