1.8T Main Bearings - Oddity?

aragorn

"Stick a V8 in it!"
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So i'm slowly getting the parts together to build up the motor on the Shed.

I've got amongst other things a set of Glyco main bearings, which have me slightly puzzled in that there are 6 bearings with a slot and a hole, and four bearings which are just plain.

ETKA suggests i should have 5 of each type, with the holed ones going in the block, and the plain ones in the caps.

At first i thaught it was a packing error, but google seems to have lots of other people with the same issue, and a vauge suggestion that its intentional and that #4 main should have both holed bearings...

Can anyone confirm this?

They can come either way and is normal. The extra bearing with the hole/slot goes in the center, so between cylinders 2 and 3.

Hmm thats different to what the Audi manual suggests, it says the extra hole/slot goes on main bearing 4, nearest the oil pump?

Yeh,

ETKA is strange.

If i look up a 2000 AJL model, it shows all 5 bearings have a grooved upper and plain lower section.
If i look up a 1998 AEB model however, it shows one bearing set for 1-3 and 5, and another set for 4.

The set for 4 has two grooved shells.

No idea why bearing 4 (or 3 as you've suggested) would actually need a groove in the cap though :/