99 A4 2.8L...what to watch out for?

TSFSU

Reaction score
What are some common problems in the 99 A4's? It's got Tiptronic and the 2.8L engine -- no quattro. When I go to look at this car on Saturday, what should I look for? it's got 80,600 miles (128,960 Km) and looks to be quite clean in photos.

Tom

I have a 98 a4 2.8 quattro with 70,000 miles. The only problems I have had was a worn out clutch and the fact that it tends to burn a little bit of oil.

I've heard stuff about Tie Rods, but other than that I've heard that the 2.8L v6 will run forever.

The cambelt must be replaced at 70,000 miles. This is NOT something you want to skip, as a cambelt failure can mean a new engine. Ask for proof it has been replaced. If it hasn't, or if the seller can't show that it has, then walk away! I can't speak for USA prices (You are from the USA, right?), but in Britan, a cambelt change costs the equivalent of $1300 or thereabouts at current exchange rates.

Good luck

$1300? Seriously? That's a lot..how do I know if the cambelt is bad? Is this a 2.8L specific concern?

Tom

It's not about whether it's bad or not. It has a limited life span. It wears out, and it has to be replaced. It's not just a matter for the 2.8L, not even just for Audis. It applies pretty much to any car. You cannot risk running a car with a cambelt that has gone past its scheduled replacement mileage. If it breaks, the engine will be smashed to pieces inside.