Gear linkage bush

ian52

2000 a4 1.8tqs-yellow
Reaction score
Has anybody replaced theirs with a solid one? Im on about the bush that is the universal joint at the end wherethe linkage bolts to the gearbox. Not sure about the pre facelift but on my facelift when i got it the bush was goosed. In 3rd was like neutral. I made a prefacelift linkage fit and used that for a while but i was ****** off with that as it wasnt quite right so i got a block of alloy machined at work to take the place of the bush. It was 10mm dia pins in the original bush so just poped them out and got steel ones at work. I only wish i did it sooner. The gear shift feels so much better. Its mechanical now instead of chocolate. It slots into gear and feels like i think it should. I seen on the net a company in america makes a kit to replace the bush but never heard of anybody over here doing it.

Never thought to take pics. I might get annother made and take pics of that. I have basicaly just romoved the standard bush with plastic and rubber for an alloy block so there is no slop or play anymore.

I've just had a crack at mine. All I did was pack an M10 stainless washer in the original linkage, it works to a fashion, some of the slop is still there, but not like stirring a bowl of porridge anymore!

I can see about getting a couple more made,I had to do a little filing on mine to get it to fit proper as i only measured it roughly so its a little rough looking but does the job. If i get more done there would be some diy involved still,drill and uinch out the old pins then have to splay out the ends of the new pins so they stay in. I could have tapped the ends of the pins and used nuts but i couldnt be bothered. It does make the gershift feel much more positive and is worth doing if yours feels a bit sloppy. The bush on the pre-facelift cars is different so would need a different bush etc for that.