LM's arrived, what you reckon on tyre size chaps?

phoenixv6quattro

staylowmovefast
Reaction score
Hello Guys. Been off here a while (AGAIN) due to overseas work commitments.......

Right, got home and found the LM's had arrived! Those of you will be happy to know (ref my last LM post) that I changed my mind and got the silver ones instead of the gold centred ones (luckily managing to persude the vendor to change the original order!). They are - 5x112 / 18" / 8.5J / ET 45. Pics below!

BBSLM.jpg

BBSLMs.jpg

BBSLMS-1.jpg

.......Now I'm keen to fit some 235/40/18's at some stage next week when I have time. I'm going for brand new performance or budget performance tyres (any suggestions on "budget performance tyres?"). I have narrowed down tyre choice to to Bridgestone Potenzas RE11's , Conti Sport contact 3's , Toyo R888's , Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrical and Michellin PS2's. Not really been looking at the Kumhos etc but any reccomendations would be great fellas!.....I have quite a few sets of spacers from 5-15mm (all hubcentric, all alloy) and figure I'm going to need to don some for the 235's to clear the inside leg/suspension. What I would really like is some feedback from you lot reference the tyre width (235) and the 8.5J width of the alloys. Before I spend a small fortune for rubber any suggestions and/or critism will be welcomed on the fitment. So your aware I don't like the stretched tyre look (can see Aragorn smiling!lol!) and I like as much legal poke as possible. I've done my homework, but nothing can compensate for feedback from experience you guys have had that like to dabble with wheels! Any help would be fantastic!

Ollie:icon_thumright:

Very nice, why are you going for a 235 tyre rather than a 225. Here is a link to www.camskill.co.uk for a wide choice of tyres

Last edited:
Thanks! Big fan of more the nore rubber on the road the better. Running 225's on my Porsche alloys at the mo and fancy a change/something wider.

Nice looking wheels mate.
shame on the no strech, I think a nice little subtle strech would look good.

My mate runs toyos for all his race and road cars, he loves em.
But he does stock them, so might be a bit biased. :)

235 minimum IMO.
stock RS4 size and the OEM tyre is 255/35 (too wide IMO)
having splashed out on them I would want some bead protecting my nice new rims. our roads are too crap over here!

Nice LMs! I want some.

For the tyres, consider Uniroyal Rainsport 2s for £88 a corner from camskill.
The best tyre you'll ever use in the wet, and pretty damn good in the dry too.

Falken 452s are good too on a budget, not a patch on the Uniroyals though, especially in the wet.

i'd echo js1500 the 452's are a good tyre at a decent price. i'm running 225 40 18's on my rs4 reps which are 8j. doesn't look at all stretched but the sidewalls do roll off nicely.

Im using 225 on my 8.5" wide lm's but thats more for clearance at the arches as the wheels are pretty far out to clear the brakes.

452's are ancient. If your looking in that price range the Hankook S1 Evo pretty much rules the roost.

Continental SportContact 5P if your looking to spend a bit more.

235/40r18 is the right tyre choice.

I get on well with my Toyo Proxes T1R's and rate the continental Sport Contacts. Been very surprised with one of the Kumho tyres (need to check model number though) which was very cheap but performed very very well wet or dry. Falken are a bit marmite, always found them to be acceptable in the dry but poor in the wet. Toyo Prxes R888 really are a dry weather only tyre so not one I would recomend.

Not when some **** pulls out in front of you in the ******* rain and you cant stop and banjo him.

lol my mates got A048`s on this R32 GTR and was amazed at the grip even in the pouring rain lol

When i bought mine it was 225's that were on them. They came off an s4 and i have s4 brakes so need the same 20mm spacers. I think he had the 225's on to stop rubbing on the arches but 235 would be better and fine without having to space for s4 brakes but i like the look with a little stretch. Its nothing major like you see on some cars.

Gents, thanks for ALL the replies! Defo going with 235/40/18's and maybe some 10mm hubcentric spacers all round (wider the better....like it on the legal limit). Have scrathched the R888'd off the list due to concerns about them in the wet. Have narrowed it down to either the rainsport 2's (had some on my saab 9000 track car and was impressed), Conti sport contact 3's (OE now for the new performance/s-line Audis) and the Bridgestone Potenza RE11's. The bridgestones and the contis are neck and neck in review and ratings (everyone seems to love them!), but cost a good 150 a corner in the 235/40/18!! Sure I could squeez my local tyre outfit down to maybe 500 all in balanced fitted etc. Still a monkey is a lot to spend on rubber!lol! The rainsports are reasonably cheaper and it is winter after all.....All I want is a GREAT all round tyre that will do the business and look good too (might be just me but I hate pikey looking rubber-something that looks like the tread pattern would be at home on 1994 vauxhall astra!) The Goodyears and michellins fell short compared to the other two on reviews and are actually more costly!

Before I bought my S4 i stuck some ContiSport Contact 3's all round on my S3 and they were really good in my experience. plenty of grip in the dry and fairly grippy in the wet as long as you are not silly. they were MUCH quieter than my Eagle F1 GSD3's that were on previously too. I might be buying myself too if that set of 18" Avus on fleabay from a friendly seller called *cough* Phoenixgod goes....

Ha ha thats not me matey!'lol!'...I will be selling my porker alloys soon though (plug...lol!).Yeah heard some great things about the SC 3's!!

The conti 5P has replaced the 3, and is supposed to be quite a bit better.

The Uniroyals are good and cheap though.

Bought some Conti Sport Contact 3's today. Pricey, but smashed everything in tyrereviews.com so worth it IMHO. Just got to find the time to get them on the alloys and on the car! Prob weeks away at the rate work is going at the mo. Thanks again fellas.

Because of the £200 difference I got the 3's for. The guys clearing the stock to make room for the 5p's. I appreiate the 5P is a better tyre, but with 200bhp I wont be pushing any envelopes. The 3's are MORE than sufficient. Did look into Falken FK452's too.

Also looked into the michellin Pilot Super Sport. But there more elusive than Elton John and fannys. "TRY AGAIN IN 6 MONTHS". Obviously a popular tyre as they were only launched last year and already theres a waiting list.