Tailgate won't lock Avant tqs

bhainart

Reaction score
Evening all,

Just bought an Avant tqs and when I went to lock the car up on key fob all doors lock fine but when I checked the tailgate was locked pulled the tailgate open....obviously not locked. Tried a couple of times but would still not lock. The lock is in the horizontal position and the two key fobs that came with the car do not fit the lock. Waiting to hear back from the guy who I bought it off about key for lock but thought some of you guys may have ideas.

Should the tailgate lock from the key fob as I assume it should or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance

they all lock from fob
sounds like the lock is broke

The lock barrel just siezes up, give it some penetrating fluid??

As for locking, facelift cars have solenoid actuated boot latches, do you hear the solenoid do its thing when you pull the handle?

Aragorn, thanks for the reply.

I can't hear a solenoid activate but when I shut the tailgate it needs a bit of a tug to open but I can pull the tailgate open. The tailgate doesn't fly open when driving so it's obviously catching on something lockwise but it just won't lock. Does it matter that the lock barrel key slot is in the horizontal position or should it just lock normally with the keyfob regardless of the position of the key slot?

Going away to Aviemore in two weeks with a car load of stuff and worried about the tailgate opening on the M6...lol

Thanks in advance

What i'm saying is it doesnt actually have a lock.

The button to open it fires an electronic solenoid to pop the lid, and the control unit simply disables the button when the car is locked.

With mine, you press the pads to open the tailgate (or the button on the remote) and theres a "zzzt" noise as the solenoid fires, and the boot pops up a tiny bit. You can then lift it open. If yours isnt doing this i suspect the solenoid is jammed. If it IS making the noise, but you can open it by simply pulling it (rather than pressing the pads), then presumably the solenoid isnt releasing properly?

If the solenoid is firing with the tailgate closed and the car locked, theres something up with the central locking control unit.