Central locking problem...

Essflee

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm posting for a friend, need some help with his Audi A4 on a 97ish plate.

His battery died on the car so he replaced it, only now he has no central locking, he doesn't have a key fob so the key itself is used in the drivers door, usually this will open all doors and give him access to the petrol tank, since the new battery was put on he only has access to the drivers door...

Is there a cheap self fix or is it a job for the stealers ?

Thanks a lot...

i'm new to the audi scene, but i didn't realise the key operated the central locking...mine doesn't 1999 A4

My 96 a4 tdi has no keyfob just the key and it operates the central locking from either door and the boot, it even makes the alarmhorn cherp as it locks the car. The petrol flap can be open manually from behind the carpet in the bootwall theres a button on the solenoid as far as Im aware in the event of central locking faiilure.

Appredicate the help so far, I haven't spoke to my mate yet, is there definitely a switch on the inside of the boot to give access to the fuel cap, this is really the biggest issue because he's running low on fuel, I don't think he's particularly bothered if he gets the central locking sorted 'obviously bonus if he can' but the fuel cap is a must...

Cheers

theres not a switch as such but it is designed so you can get your hand up from inside boot and operate actuator rod by hand or slide it off mount completly

guessing he's checked all fuses, next id try replacement pump, check part number and check ebay/scrappy, should just plug in and work if thats the problem

I'd like to assume he has checked the fuses, lol

I'll ask him though, cheers matey

Well it turns out my mate hasn't checked the fuses yet so he's going to have a look tomorrow, I told him about getting to the fuel cap through the boot but he reckons he can't get in the boot, he can't open it up manually, I've never heard anything so rediculas, Audi didn't seem to think that one out...

The lock barrel often siezes up due to lack of use. Might just need some persuasion with some penetrating fluid?