225 motor into 1.8T B5 or 6...

WHAT THE ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Like the leather, think it looks good but think the wood is an acquired taste /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif, but then again thats why its called individual, its what matters to you.

Enjoy the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I think that looks fantastic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif Does make a change from the norm. Congratulations for having the balls to go for something different. Nice One

Matt

Well here are some pics for those who are interested. I posted them in another thread a while ago so i'll just put them up here again.
1657brass_metallic.JPG

1657100_0516.JPG

1657100_0515.JPG

1657100_0513.JPG

Both cars look great, its nice to have something different and i especially like the Mora colour, sort of a maroon version of techno violet. Cant wait to see it at the xmas meet!

Just a question for you Mr Beam, do you have visible hand stitching around all the edges of the leather, such as at the console and handle for the glovebox, because I have noticed that my car has a lot more leather than a standard M3 and that it is all hand stitched. If you look at the sides of my centre console, they have leather on them, this is the same grade leather on the seats and doors, and go's right around on the glovebox, I have not seen this on any standard M3's. Is your's the same?

Hello all...

Now I understand that manifolds Turbos etc are different, but what about JUST installing a 225 block into a 1.8Tq and using the original manifolds etc? Are the block mounting points the same?? I would guess so...

It would be a nightmare from what I have heard.

Why would you do it wanyway - it would be cheaper to buy some uprated bits for the existing engine - you are not gaining that much more and certainly wouldn't find it a route to cheap bhp.

Greg

I have looked into this and the difference over it are basically the pistons which are low compression and you can get a set of them for about 350 quid, good forged ones.
And all the extra little bits as well.

Markey, where can you get a set of forged pistons for £350?

I have looked at these and forged rods seem to be around £600, pistons around £400.

If you know better prices let me know!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Greg

There is a company called vodomotorsport and over the last two months they have put a set of forged pistons on ebay at 350 and each time they have only had one bid and each time i forgot to bid.
I had a long chat with the guy and they will do cryotreated rods to go with as well i think at 50 quid each on exchange.
On their website they are 450 the pistons i think.
But if he can let them go for 350 then i definately think some bartering is on the menu.

Its more the stronger rods I am interested in.

The 180 motors have such weak rods that there is no point changing just the pistons. A set of rods (Although ****** strong) will cost about as much as a 225 motor... and once you start replacing rods, then you have to start doing the pistons, the brearings etc etc, before you know it you have a 4k bill on your hands rather than just a 225 lump @ about £6-700 that will be safe for 350BHP every day.

Im planning a rod and piston change with new rings and having the block re honed and its going to cost about 500 quids.
I know people running this setup in their golfs and it is sound as a pound and the cryotreaded rods are suposedly the strongest that you can get.

I don't think it's just the block mounts that are different. The manifold, turbo, gearbox, Ics, etc etc are all designed for a transverse layout and not a longitude on a 225 block.

[ QUOTE ]
Markey said:
Im planning a rod and piston change with new rings and having the block re honed and its going to cost about 500 quids.
I know people running this setup in their golfs and it is sound as a pound and the cryotreaded rods are suposedly the strongest that you can get.

[/ QUOTE ]

really... that is not bad!! take it you are doing all the labour yourself. Even so... parts seem cheap.

When I looked into it:

JE 8:0:1 1900cc pistons were £500ish
Pauter (SP??) Rods steel/forged - £700-900
Then obviously all the labour involved...

A mate is going to do the labour i hope if not him then me.

It is a little more.
Forged Pistons and Cyro rods are 450 + other bits and bobs that i am going to change maybe another 100 squids or so.
Should with new injectors and FMIC refitted etc get me some great HP figures.
Then Going to try and get eh Dhalback intake and find someone who has or knows someone who has a Modified stainless manifold i know someone mentioned before where to get one but i now can not remember. I need a better flowing one.

Markey - I forget does your FMIC fit under the standard bumper and if yes where did you get it from (oh and how much?) Don't want much do I /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Greg

This is the exact one i even bought it from these guys and had it shipped over.

FMIC

They reconed that it fitted which is right but it was really tight so i took it of im am just waiting to get the new S4 one ordered which i may do tomorrow there is just so much to go with it like fittings and then skirts and the rear bumper it all adds up.
Hope that helps.

So you're getting an S4 bumper? Where are you getting that from?

I need an FMIC but getting one that fits the standard car seems almost impossible.

Greg

I have searched high and low in all the breakers, and my last resort is VAG parts. its about 186 quid.

Year i think i can get that done for about 50 squid by someone who has painted all my other cars.