Towing a quattro

NineNails

Proud sponsor of the snack food industry
Reaction score
I know this has probably been talked about before but have no time to search now sooo... can a quattro be towed with front wheels off the ground, or does it have to be on a flat bed or towed with all four wheels turning??
Si.

Flatbed or all wheels on the road but not for more than 50 miles and no faster than 60Mph ! you can seriously damage the centre diff by towing on a dolly.

If its being towed with all four wheels on the ground, IE a bar or rope, thats fine, is no different to driving along the road as far as the transmission is concerned.

A dolly or lift that lifts one end of the car off the ground is a nono, as it puts a lot of strain on the centre diff. You can use it in an emergency but only 30mph and 30miles iirc.

Flatbed is the best and safest way.

4x4 is flat bed only really or for a very short tow all four wheels on the road but this is, apparently, still not very good. Front or rear wheel lift tow is out of the question as it will cause damage to the system

why would a 4 wheel tow cause any problems?

the only bit thats fragile is the centre diff. if your towing with all four wheels on the ground the front and rear axles are doing the same speed, so the diff isnt under any load.

Tha cars handbook specifies (for 4wd manual transmission):

The car may be towed with a tow bar, or tow-rope in the normal way, with all four wheels on the road.

When towed with a break down truck, the car can also be towed with wheels lifted at the front or rear. When towing with wheels lifted it must not be towed faster than 50km/h AND it must not be towed further than 50km.

If it is not possible to tow the car in the normal way with all four wheels on the ground, or if it has to be towed further than 50km, it must be transported on a car transporter on trailer.

Quattro's with auto gearbox are particularily fussy when towed for long time, something to do with the ATF fluid getting hot too quick. I have towed with towbar for 100 miles and had no problems but i will flatbed/trailer the car if longer than that as its much safer than with towbar...