Caliper piston retraction issue

audinary

Complete And Utter Member
Reaction score
I'm rubbish at cars.

Mark and Aragorn offered me plenty of advice earlier about the pad-changing aspect of my current rear wheel bearing and disc change effort. But I'm still having difficulty.

Firstly, I didn't realise that these calipers are "colette" type things where the piston is reset by rotating it clockwise. I was trying to use the reverse-clamp type tool I use on the front calipers. I need a new tool, then.

The interweb is full of people who have been able to wind their caliper pistons back using needle-nose pliers, but mine seem to be far too stiff to do that, even with the bleed nipple open, so I'll have to make, or (heaven forbid) actually buy the proper tool.

Also, I'm in a bit of a hurry, the car was supposed to be finished by the weekend. Bearing in mind I work at Mercedes, does anybody know if any Merc uses a similar design of rear caliper to our cars? If so I may be able to borrow a tool for the day.

Alternatively, know any methods of cheating?

If they're stiff you really need the right tool. You'll just chew the piston up otherwise.

Your dealer workshop will likely have the correct tool, but the pin spacings might be different.

Yeah, figured that trying to bodge it with pliers was terrible idea when they slid off for the first time.

One of our workshop guys is ex VAG, i'll make a beeline for him tomorrow.