coil pack questions?

sk8xtrm

Reaction score
Random question, ive read loads and loads of posts about coil packs and how prone they are! I think this is what is wrong with my car but when i took mine out the other day to clean them I noticed that the "stalk" of the coil pack has a diffrent part number, i googled it and found out they are replaceable and separate from the coil packs. But ive never heard of anyone changing these only changing the coil packs with new ones of these with them. So basically what im getting at is that these are effectivly ht leads connected to the coil packs, on most cars coil packs dont go that often its more often then not the ht leads.

So im curious if anyone on here has ever tried changing just these for new to see if it solves any issues? has anyone else ever noticed this either?

audi part number: 058905447c bosch number: 0300122106

00110300122117_1.jpg

IS it possible for the icm to slowly burn out causing a weeker spark over time therefore stuttering under load sometimes?

Not really, its a power transistor, it tends to just drop cylinder 2 when it fails

Sounds more like bad spark plugs?

Hi, these coil packs may be more robust than the later ones, however they do fail, I know because one went on mine. The symptoms of a failed icm is more obvious as it will be there all the time and there is a way of testing this with a multimeter (have a look at the tech articles on audiworld.com). The coil packs tend to show more under load i.e. can be fine at idle. Unfortunately neither of these issues register a fault code which makes tracking down the issue even more difficult. You could try changing the plugs or leads but I would suggest getting hold of a new coil (or borrow a known good one!) and swap it in turn with yours and see if that fixes it.(That's what I did)