Rear suspension knock

tdia4

TDIPOWARRR
Reaction score
Lowered the rear of my car today, used new bottom mount bolts and new strut gaskets. The springs I put on were already on sport struts so not taken the suspension unit apart at all, just replaced. It sounds to be coming from the top mounts to me, now I may have overtightened the 2 top mount bolts so I may have threaded them, could this be causeing it? Getting the noise when I go over bumps or uneven surfaces.

Any help greatly recived.

Oh joy, been out to check and yes i've overtightened them causeing them to strip there threads, least its not all 4, one on one side and one on the other, so off to VW in the morning to get 4 new bolts then to a garage so they can get the threaded ones out.

If the top mounts are alloy its quite likely the bolts are fine, and the top mount itself will have stripped.

Any idea how I can get them out without having to go tpo the garage? I cant get a screw driver under the bolt to give it leverage while turning the socket. Any ideas?

Jack the car up.

The shock acts as a stop to limit axle travel, so if you lift that corner off the floor the weight of the axle and wheel will be hanging off the bolt.

Ok cheers, did have the car jacked up at one side when I was trying to get it back out, maybe if I put both sides on axle stands it would help?

Also if it is the threads in the strut that are threaded what will best to do? Can I just put a washer under the bolt so it "bites" in a different point? I've done this before but never on a suspension unit.