Flat battery stereo query

griswold

Reaction score
Not sure if its caused my flat battery but my car struggled a little to start a few days ago
went to start it today and was flat
Now last week i changed the fuse postion on the back of my clarion headunit due to it not keeping its memory ie rad stations.
When i first fitted it the manual said if you have a vw/audi to change the fuse position on the back of the headunit so i did.
In both postions when you take the key out it turned off but maybe its causing a power drain?
Coincidence and maybe my car battery is kaput?
Anyone have a clarion headunit? or sinmilair problem in the past?

have you run a wire to live so it comes on with the key ?

i dont know whats going on here 12hr shifts mess with your brain
before it would turn off with key but not on
just put key in ignition and stereo came on im sure this didnt happen after fuse position swap?
Never read manuals just jump straight in so never noticed if my jvc had that?
Im using the same wiring harness and that was ok
trial and error i guess

If you had a previous aftermarket HU then you shouldn't need to change any wiring.
That said even if you wired both connections to the permanent live it will not drain the battery unless you left the HU on, or you have a duff HU or a short in the wiring. Take a pic of the wiring at the back of the HU, it maybe you have somehow wired the aerial amp to the perm live, which would drain the battery over time. How old is the battery (they only last 4-5 years). If everything looks OK and the battery is decent then you'd need to connect a multimeter between the earth on the battery and the battery earth lead and see what the current draw is with everything turned off.