1.8T sump removal.Anyone done it?

mike-a

Reaction score
Got my A4 at the end of November and gave it an oil change to fully synthetic at beginning of January before going back to work.Couple of times at end of 20 mile commute I've had oil warning light on for a couple of seconds.No rattles from engine but I think it needs the pickup cleaning/replacing from what I've read up on net.Have just given it another oil change and fitted the biggest oil filter I can find to increase the oil capacity.

Couple of questions thus far.
Will I gradually be able to flush the sludge out with oil changes every 2k miles or will I have to bite the bullet and remove the sump?

Has anyone taken the sump off as a diy job? I suppose raise engine as much as possible and maybe also drop subframe?

Any advice greatly received!
Cheers

Will I gradually be able to flush the sludge out with oil changes every 2k miles or will I have to bite the bullet and remove the sump?

no it will get worse
also useing a flush will make it worse
prety easy to remove the sump

The a4 engine needs to be raised and/or the subframe dropped.

I managed to do one in situ , search sludge in this section.

Reactions: Tony5496
Ok a word of warning here, DO NOT drive the car until you fix this.

The oil pressure warning light on the A4 is a pathetic affair, and the sensor is ignored by the dash at low engine speeds. The fact its come on at all means the pressure is SERIOUSLY low.

The switch activates at 1bar, but the dash ignores it at engine speeds below 2k. Having less than 1 bar of oil pressure OVER 2k as would be required to trigger the warning, means at idle the pressure is even lower still.

If you continue driving it with pressure that low, it can and will just stop, unexpectedly, leaving you with a seized engine and a large bill.

Get an oil pressure guage fitted as well so you know whats happening.

Thanks for the replies.
Byzan,how did you do your sump? Raise engine AND drop subframe? I don't have access to sn engine hoist so would it be possible to do it with just dropping the subframe?

The engine is mounted to the subframe, so you need to hold it up when lowering it.

much easier to do that from above, but you may be able to get a jack onto the snub mount at the front of the engine, and still give yourself enough room to get the sump out.

i've used an engine support like that before on a ml3 golf when changing the gear box, very useful tool.

engine cranes are about £50 to hire or £99 to buy and you always make your money back on them.
i had a crane and when i finished using it i put it on ebay and shifted it in an hour and a half and i'm talking in the back of the guys car and out of sight in that time!

defo don't drive it !

Did your method of leaving subframe attached rely on removing lock carrier etc? Or do you think it would work with front end still on?

didnt try with lock carrier in place as we were doing the cam belt at the same time.

I doubt it would work with front intact, it's only half hour to remove tops and access is so much better then. Subframe stayed in place.

Will make a support beam at work and have a crack at it.It's my daily work transport so I need it done in a weekend,I've ordered a new pickup pipe from the local VW dealer and a secondhand sump off eBay so I don't have to mess around cleaning parts before I reassemble.