Head light repair

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
I bought some facelift head lights knowing they was broken. They arrived yesterday and today i fixed them.
This is my fix.

The two brackets at the top was snapped off. One of them was stuck on with copious amounts of some sort of rubber glue. I stripped it all off and gave the area a clean.
First was the bracket nearest the indicator. Small bit of super glue to the broken edge to keep it in place.
2011_01_22_0279.jpg

I then cut down a old CD case and used the CD tray plastic, cut it to shape and glued it on the flat edge of the bracket. Did a layer of glue round the edge to help hold it on.
2011_01_22_0285.jpg

It seems stronger than the brackets on the other head light.

The other bracket was a bit harder, it was snapped off right at the very bottom.
2011_01_22_0280.jpg

Using the same plastic it heated it up and moulded it to the shame of the bracket. Make it so the plastic would be glued on the bracket and the head light cover.
2011_01_22_0282.jpg

Cheap, quick and simple fix.
Hopefully it will hold.
I'll be fitting theses soon as i got some other parts I'm waiting on.

**** that second one must have broken in transit :(

The top mounts were all intact (one obvisouly held in with that gloop) when they went in the post :(

Looks like you got them sorted though.

Maybe you can do the same with the lower mount, perhaps using the bit from your old headlight?

**** that second one must have broken in transit :(

The top mounts were all intact (one obvisouly held in with that gloop) when they went in the post :(

Looks like you got them sorted though.

Maybe you can do the same with the lower mount, perhaps using the bit from your old headlight?

Its no biggy, I knew they was broken and expected to repair.
I enjoyed the task.

I did think about that but would rather sell them as is and try and buy a broken one.

There is a repair kit available from audi dealers it costs about 15 quid per side and contains the brackets wich screw into the hole under the bracket (ever wondered what's that for ?) and 2 screws... I have one in me car can get the part number off it . They are also on ebay for a fiver + postage.