Replacing brake hose

mal79

Reaction score
My 1.8 FWD failed is MOT today: N/S CV boot split and O/S Brake Hose split.

I will be factoring out the CV boot replacement to a local garage as I really don't fancy having to deal with a potentially seized pinch bolt. Garage have priced this at about £200, which given the posible hassle to remove the drive shaft, I am happy with.

However they have priced the replacement of the hose at nearly £200 aswell. I can't recall the setup on the B5, but I would expect it to be the same to most vehicles - a union at each end of the hose (one to the caliper and one to the rigid brake pipe). I have replaced brake hoses and bled brake systems before so begrudge paying for work I can do.

Is there something that I am missing? Is the connector an obscure tool that I won't have, or is the union to rigid pipe particularly prone to seizing?

Thanks

Mal

£200 to change a CV boot is having a laugh.

I did mine, rolling around on the floor on the driveway in about 2 hours.

Clearly they're overcharging, as is quite obvious to yourself from what they've quoted to do the brake pipe.

Go elsewhere.

mine failed on exactly the same last year £20 for parts i did both jobs myself the cv took just over an hour that was working off the floor with no air tools the brake pipe took about 30min with bleeding as well so this garage is charging over £200 an hour !! i agree with aragorn go elsewhere

Cancelled the garage and having a crack at this tomorrow. Will do the brake pipe first, before having a go at the CV boot. If I am unable to free the dreaded pinch bolt, is there any likelihood that I can free the driveshaft from the gearbox end?

Ye apparently it is possible, i tried and couldnt manage it, but my pinch bolt was free so i stopped struggling and popped it out.

Ye apparently it is possible, i tried and couldnt manage it, but my pinch bolt was free so i stopped struggling and popped it out.

If you tried and didn't manage it, then I don't hold much hope for me! For the g/box end, is it 8mm Spline bolts holding the driveshaft in?

I suspect you need to turn the steering one way or other to give some slack at the box end.

I loosened the inner CV and gave it a dunt and it didnt drop out, so i took the pinch bolt out.

I'm sure someone posted on here recently that they managed it without removing the pinch bolt.

Haven't tried any bar yet - just trying to prepare for worst case scenario (they tend to come may way more often than they should)!!

I will have a go with a breaker bar, though must resist the temptation to get my 2ft extender on the end. If I do have to send this to a garage I dont want the bolt sheared...

Mal

Job done, it took a while (about 12 hours all in). That was mostly down to not having the correct tools, so having to down tools to buy some more! The pinch bolt was not an issue at all!

The biggest issue I had was not having a vice, so after getting the drive shaft out, I had to bolt it back in to the g/box so I could tighten the hub nut and pop the outer CV joint off. Booked for a retest of failed items tomorrow.

Best of all, I have my DIY mojo back!

Just ordered a new front flexi brake hose for the TQS, only £14.19+vat from VAG !.....

One?

I think when the flexis come due on ours i'll be going braided stainless all round, you can get all 6 for about 60-70quid.