Cold start issue

Connor_scotland

Reaction score
Website
www.scottishscoobies.net
The Car - A4 1.9 TDI 90 Avant (1998)

I put this off the road last week to sort the final niggles on it and was running the Impreza.

Anyways the final niggle.

When the car is cold you need to warm the plugs 5/6 + times then it starts
It seems the glow plug light only comes on for about 1 second or less... In my old Ibiza TDI it would stay on longer. Especially in the cold weather.

When the car is warm it starts first time every time?

The car has had new Glow plugs in it but that never solved the issue.
Someone suggested a new fuel filter but i thought why would it need a new one when its fine when warm?!

Any help from you all would be great :)

When this niggle is sorted its going to be mint
My week consisted of

New wheel bearing, brake discs, carbon interior, 2x 19" tyres and a good polish.

Thanks in advance you lot always seem to have the answers I am looking for.

Last edited:
I did have an issue once where not all the glow plugs were glowing properly, insufficient current getting to them due to corroded connections

Hope this helps

JC

Perhaps the control unit that powers the glow plugs is broken?

Get someone to check for voltage at the plugs themselves to see if they are actually heating when you turn the ignition on?

I have a feeling that the amount of glow depends on the temperature, so if the glow plug control unit thinks the car is warm it will only briefly run the plugs?

Thanks lads.

Thats what i was thinking as in the Ibiza Sport TDI we had with the weather the light would stay on longer ect or shorter in summer.

Now its cold up here in Scotland and its on for just under a second so when you heat them 5 or so times it winds over for a couple of seconds then starts no problem.

Then when warm its fine.

Ach I have had enough of cars this week, i need to tackle the roll cage in my Impreza so sticking the Audi to the garage who do some of my work to sort out i just wanted a idea of what it could be.

If it was the glow plug controller is that expensive?

Its one of those parts thats probably 7 million pounds new from audi, but about 5 quid in a scrappy.

205man on here is breaking a tdi, perhaps get his?