Chris NottAH Fabrications
    staylowmovefast

Status

DIY Camber Adjustment

Hello Gents. I was thinking about adjusting the rear camber on my Avant after I came across this thread on Edition 38 ........ B7 Audi Avant S line The Family Wagon :D - Edition 38 Forums - Page 9 ....... its half way down the page. If I make the adjustment is it likely to mess up the handling/tracking? I know there will probo be complications, but what and to what extent? Just an idea at the mo, as I don't want to F the car up for cosmetic reasons!lol!

Ollie
    !!BINGO BONGO!!

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    That's far from teh extreme when it comes to adding camber but yes it will quite likely screw the way the car drives, handles and it will increase the wear rate of the tires. It's on a par with stretched tyres on the list of daft things to do
    Last edited by Oranoco; 15th January 2011 at 18:16.

Life begins at 140mph
    Sell my Audi??? Kiss my rings!
    www.passionford.com

1st Gear

Status
    oh no, edition 38 scene alert!

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    The car as standard has slight negative camber. This is so when you turn into a corner, the tyre rolls flat to maximise contact with the road. The amount of camber as standard is a compromise between tyre wear and maximum grip.

If you add more camber, to a point and depending greatly on the tyre used, you can increase grip over the stock settings, at the detriment of inner edge tyre wear. Go too far (and i'd imagine adjusting it by enough that it looks visibly cambered is too far for a road tyre) then you'll reduce grip, because the tyre is in effect always running on its edge.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

staylowmovefast

Status
    Cheers gents! Was just a thought I gathered as much. Absolutely no point in sacrificing handling to enhance it cosmetically. I'm not into the DUB scene but still appreciate what those guys do...Aragorn, will bear your point in mind when getting new tyres for my LM's.
    !!BINGO BONGO!!

Status
    I run mine at just over 1 degree at the back, does help the grip when you push the power on hard.
    there is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes!!

Neutral

Status
    Yeah that's my car, hasn't affected the ride at all tbh and like said, it's a very small degree of camber.... It was done as a means of tucking the rear wheels a bit more for clearance when I get the air ride finished... Your tyres won't wear more due to camber, it's toe in or toe out that does that My '72 beetle runs at least -4 degrees camber on the rear and the tyres have lasted 18 months no sweat

Marc

staylowmovefast

Status
    Ha ha!! Small world! Funny that the originator of the link to the thread has appeared! TBH I think it looks awesome, but wouldnt want the handling sacrificed, if indeed It would? Great little project you got there mate! Nice car!
    !!BINGO BONGO!!

Neutral

Status
    Thanks man