Audi 80 Flywheel, Audi S2 Clutch conversion. The beginnings...

Jason.s

Reaction score
Right seeing as my car has 108k on the original clutch and having an insanely high pedal, also having plans for more power i thought it`d be time to look at clutch options. The problem i faced along with everyone else in this situation is that they all come from America thus having stupid high shipping costs and various customs charges making a reasonable priced clutch/flywheel combo stupidly expensive so went searching for cheaper options.

Looking over the forums i found a couple of posts from Aragorn saying he`d fitted an Audi 80 TDI solid flywheel and also mentioned an S2/RS2 clutch could be made to fit. Interested in these findings i went on the hunt and found something on the TDI forums giving more detail on said conversion, part numbers and pictures.

Working for VW i went on ETKA and had a search..

Flywheel part number 02605269LX fits the following engine codes: ABK, AHL, 1Z, AHU, AFF, ADP, ACE, AAE, ADW, JW, AAD, PS, NP, 4B, SH, RN, JV, PP, NE, JN, DZ, SD, RU, PM, RNA, 3A, JK, RA, SB, 1Y, 6A. ABT, ABM, ABB, ADA, AAZ

Price: £106.32 inc vat but then it does have a surcharge on it so you`re going to have to pay the surcharge aswell as you cant return your standard dual mass in its place unless you want to try and sneekily return it in the box lol.

Also you`ll need shorter flywheel bolts so using the bolts suited for that flywheel which are: N90206103 x6

For good measure you should also use new clutch bolts. These are the same size for both applications so you dont have to get different once. Part number for those are: N0147392 x6

Now for the clutch..Audi do not make Clutch kits anymore and you cant even get seperate parts anymore as they`ve been made obsolete so you`ll have to get aftermarket items. RS2 clutch kits are around £250+ vat for LUK kits but reading the S2/RS2 forums people dont like LUK. Sachs dont make OE spec clutches anymore so you have to buy their performance kits which cancels out the cheapness lol.

Next option was to look at the S2. Again Audi made this obsolete again so that was a no go so searching round german and swedish had a kit listed for the 3B for around £180 + vat but i cant remember what make it was. He said it was an OE standard of clutch. Not a bad price. Phoned up my local motorfactors and they can supply me with a Valeo clutch kit with my discount or £111 + vat. Bargain! so i`ve gone for that.

Now the Flywheel is 228mm same as the 1.8T flywheel but the clutch is for a 240mm flywheel. This means you have to redrill and relocate the guide pins. Any machine shop can do this for you. The problem is and this is important. When the clutch is properly centered in the middle of the flywheel ready for drilling the new holes are very close to the starter wheel (teeth) on the wheel so you dont want to go straight through. You have to drill a 10mm deep hole instead. Take out the existing guide pins and relocate them where appropriate according to the new bolt holes.

The standard S2 3B clutch is rated to around 400-450nms torque which is about 300-330ft-lbs which is a decent number even for people going bigger turbo and so on. Obviously not too huge but maybe the smaller of the big turbo upgrades at most? Dont hold me to that though. Guys on the TDI forums put around 450nms through it and it started to feel a bit weak but it wasnt slipping. But then their peak torque is really low down so puts more stress on the clutch so they said.

Also its reported that there is no flywheel chatter or vibrations unlike other single mass conversions which is good and the clutch pedal feels good at the decent height. The weight of the flywheel is 8.5kg`s but i cant remember the weight of the standard flywheel? If anyone knows?

My flywheel will be here tomorrow so i`ll get some pics up and then the clutch will arrive at some point soon so will get some more pics up to show them both together.

Any questions fire away and i`ll try and answer them from what i know and keep it updated with progress of the conversion.

(sorry for the long winded post anyway lol)

Good work so far pal and good luck! Sure Aragorn will advise......(If he isn't negative first...lol).

Defo need to see some pics, i'm considering it for the shed.

You need to be careful ordering clutches, as the RS2 used a DMF, some S2's had a 228mm clutch rather than the 240mm one you want and Late S2's also went DMF.

I've not found a manufacturer selling a complete kit for the 240mm S2, however i did find Sachs part numbers for the cover and the disk seperately. If you can post up the numbers of the kit you've used that would be muchos helpful!

I've noticed no chatter or anything untoward in the FWD A4 i fitted the 80 clutch to, and so far the 1Z clutch i fitted is holding up fine behind a remapped 1.8T, although to be fair the cars now driven by my mum so its unlikely to get thrashed!

Going by the threads i`ve read its a 3B 240mm clutch you need because the 3B had a solid flywheel aswell so used a sprung clutch were as the ABY which came in at about 93ish i think has a dual mass so had a solid clutch plate. 3B was a 240mm hence why when you`re redrilling the flywheel it puts the new holes further out very close to the starter wheel. Looking on ETKA is says the 3B, ABY and RS2 clutches are all 240mm. It has about 3 other engine codes with 228mm clutches which must be the n/a models.

When i get round to ordering it and its in my hands i shall post up the Valeo number.

Got the flywheel yesterday..took some pics. Nothing amazing but still..

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

Here you can see all the guide pins that need to be removed and then replaced once the new holes are made in the flywheel.

IMG_0147.jpg

Found a random 240mm clutch at work and lined it up best i could. Its a pretty tight fit. Sadly didnt take a pic of that as i didnt have a spare hand due to holding the clutch in place on the flywheel. Once its redrilled its very close to the edge of the wheel directly over the starter ring so i can see why they said only drill 10mm. Will try and get the clutch ordered soonish and then i`ll get some more pics and also a pic of how close the bolts are to the starter ring to show how important it is to drill to the right depth.

Not the greatest of updates but one none the less..

Finally got my flywheel. Got an LUK kit from German and Swedish in the end as the Valeo kit i was after is no longer made.

Took it to my friends work yesterday and gave some instructions to the guy doing the job of what needed to be done so should be done at some point this week so hopefully have it back by next weekend and i`ll get some pics up.

Exciting times lol. Hopefully it should be installed next month so i can start to give some proper reviews.

Got the flywheel back today all nicely drilled and clutch fitted on it. Pleased with the work done.

Also weighed the new setup and going by what ECS say the standard kit is which is 16.146kg`s the new set up is pretty much identical. Would have been nice to have a slight weight loss but never mind. Its going to be a lot stronger than the standard set up.

Pics are as followed. You can see how far out the new mounting holes and guide pins are and how close they are to the edge of the wheel.

IMG_0307.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

Should be getting fitted in the next few weeks with any luck and then the real test begins :)

£20 to me :D But that was mates rates/a favour sort of thing lol. but as i mentioned further up i got qouted £75 by a local machining shop as a rough guide.

Hmm, its a hard one.

75quid for machining, and however much for the flywheel itself (probably find one used though for not too much though) plus then using a kinda obscure S2 clutch is putting me off a bit.

The aftermarket flywheels tend to use an OEM S4 clutch kit, which is the same size, but much more readily available, and with common upgrade path already laid out for S4 owners.

Yeah im sure you could pick up a used flywheel somewhere and give it a skim and still be cheaper than a brand new one. If you include the surcharge, new it`ll be around £125 inc vat.

I know what you mean about the S4 kit. The future upgrade path is pretty much laid out infront of you without any issues where as if i went over the limits of this i`d be needing a complete new set up but then i dont intend on going that far even though 300ft-lbs would see you at a small big turbo set up like a gt2860 or a well build K04 set up which is enough for me on a FWD application.

After actually finding a clutch kit that isnt discontinued i cant see it being an issue with replacing it when its worn and isnt too offensive at around £210 inc vat.

If you wanted to go further than there are uprated S2 3B kits out there. Pretty sure that Helix do one, 034 so the options are there if i or anyone else wanted to go a bit crazy with the power.

I think i'll price up the S4 clutch as a comparison.

The Sachs numbers for the OE 3B clutch kit are also floating around, so i'll try and get prices on these too.

yeah but going by what the S2 forum says they dont make the standard one anymore.

Shipped the ECS stage 1 with S4 kit is £444.61 with whatever import charges ontop. Im just not keen on quite a few reviews saying the flywheel is pretty crappy and it warps easily and so on.

The kit including bolts i`ve just done works out at £476.45 retail with the machining included in that price so could be cheaper if you found a cheaper shop and also if you found a second hand flywheel.

If you get hit with a customs charge which everything i`ve ordered from America in the past i have been then its about the same money.