painting interior trim?

olds_kool

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
hi folks

after years of searching for double din centre console conversion parts ive come across some at a reasonable price

only trouble is its in light grey and my interior is dark grey

has any one had good results in painting this type of plastic, if so what did you use?

cheers kev

I would use a plastic based primer to achieve durability.

Like any painting process, its all in the prep mate;

Firstly, thoroughly clean the part
Then score/sand it to key the base
Clean again
Then apply primer, 2 or more coats dependant on finish(shine, matte etc) leaving 15-20 drying periods between
Leave part to fully cure/dry, overnight, then wet sand
Clean again
Then start applying top coats, leave again to cure overnight
Wet sand to a smooth finish
Then apply laquer coats, wet sand if needed.

You can buy a sort of bumper textured finish paint from any good paint supplier you will have to get some red scotch brite to key the surface then find the paint colour you like also as foxmeister said get a plastic primer the one I use is clear and is more an adhesion promotor paint this on leave for 5 10 mins an then spray straight on to it with the textured finish paint or just an aerosol ( if you go for just a paint get some primer to give the top coat some depth and follow as above reply ) hope all goes to plan mate

cheers guys,
came across this and it seems that plastic can be dyed?

www.vinyldye.co.uk

think ill give it a go with some matt black and see how it turns out
thats if i buy the console, going to look at it tommorrow

i've used the halfords stuff on a dashboard in a nova before (kinda soft touch vinyl surface) and it worked well

rasa4 has painted his glovebox iirc

Halfords gear is actually good quality, paint wise anyway!

Used it for painting my wheels, and primers etc, aluminuim paint for mirrors also, good quality stuff!!!