Quick question - how do you remove the centre "wooden" panel?

durham-dazzler

Reaction score
The radio in my PFL A4 has packed up. Only the rear speakers were working yesterday, and this morning there's no power to the unit at all...
I suspect that the wires have worked loose on the back (the previous owner replaced the HU and I reckon he's not fitted it properly)
I've got keys to remove the HU, but can't get them to lock properly. The local Audi garage tried and also couldn't get it to come out, saying that the right hand pin had bent too far and the key couldn't engage with it properly. They suggested taking the wooden panel off the front and trying to slide a screwdriver down the side to bend the pin back in. Failing that they suggested taking the covers under the steering column off and coming at it from behind...
So, first things first, how do i take the wooden centre console panel off? I don;t want to force it and snap it!
DSC00031.jpg

im sure that they just pull off
and be careful if goin in from behind i hear it can be nasty :sadlike:

Yes it just clips off but the clips have a tendency to break I had same problem with mine right hand pin was bent over to much I had to get a small pick with a slight angle to pick it over but it slightly damaged the radio was a bitch to get at but with some patience you will get it out eventually !!

Its a metal plate. can't you see you snapping that.

With out wanting to insult you, you are putting the keys in and pulling outwards as you pull towards you?

I'm pretty sure the PFL panel is held on with some bolts, which are only accessible when the stereo is out.

You can try removing the glovebox and trying to push the head unit out from behind.

That said, the wood is ****** awful, and the concert is a pile of crap too so get in there with the biggest screwdriver you can find, burst it all out and replace with a decent HU and a nice black surround :D

will try a long screwdriver down the side of the unit from the front then... before hacking the panel out all together!

Remove the drivers side under dash. and go at it from the back. Watch the metalwork though as I found the hard way it can be sharp and still have the scar to prove it

It is very sharp behind there and the clips are kinda stuck behind metal work . Try some merc keys push the radio in aim the keys to the outsides of the unit and it should come out . Yes the wooden panel has two 8mm bolts holding it behind the outer edges of the unit . Failing that you can actually pull the front panel off the the unit just watch out for the spring on the cassette flap if it has one put a bit of heat on it first so it bends the clips rather that snapping them . Failing that take it to a good audio shop and get them to remove it for you . good luck and be patient .

Radio out!
Took the drivers side dash cover off, chisel on the side of the radio pulling the frame away from the unit and pulling the radio out at the same time... bent the side of the radio slightly but it came out!!
However, the radio still doesn't work! :banghead:
Checked the leads, the fuse on the unit and all the fuses in the box but nothing... just will not turn on!
I'm now thinking that the unit is goosed :(
Still, at least now it's out it's easy to replace it!