Airbag Light/serious question?

bigdog23

Reaction score
Could anybody please advise me? 1997 A4 1.8T, the airbag light on the dash has been permanently lit for well over 12 months now, had it checked and was told seatbelt pre-tensioners were ok, had a diagnostic, the resulting fault code said the 'resistance' was too low on the steering wheel connection (which I believe is a loop of wire underneath the steering wheel). I am told it will cost a few hundred £'s to put right but dont bother coz airbag will still work if needed to. Is this true and what causes the low resistance coz it always says 'OK' on dash computer, no faults ever come up.
Thankyou

If the airbag light is on, all the airbags are disabled.

It will either be the contact ring in the steering wheel, or the airbag connections under the seats.

Thanks Aragorn. I'd better start saving up to have it done then if they are disabled

I'd start by getting yourself a vagcom lead and scanning it and finding exactly whats broken, or finding a local forum member who has it and can scan it for you.

Saves changing parts that arent broken.

If its the contact ring in the steering wheel you can probably get one from a breakers.

the connection under the drivers seat is the usual culprit, disconnect and reconnect a few times and then get it reset with vagcom to see if thats sorted it

Reactions: bigdog23