Stupid sump plug question

sprint_48

Reaction score
Website
www.badlyparkeddubs.co.uk
Ok, so I'm trying to do an oil change on the car. Got to getting the sump plug off, and it seriously won't budge. Now I'm pretty sure I'm right, but it's the same as any other bolt - anticlockwise to undo. It's definitely not the other way for some obscure reason?

On this engine it's on the right hand side of the sump, facing out towards the passenger side wheel. I'm sure it's just seized, but thought I'd ask in case there was a chance it was different and all I've been doing is tightening it.... Sounds a daft question, but you never know...

Yes normal thread but can be tight. Use a good socket and bar keep it straight and don,t round it off.

Cheers, knew I was right but best to cover all possibilities. Maybe it's just my socket isn't man enough for it. Will have a hunt around for something else to try. Have tried 3 blasts of WD40 so far. Got to hate over tightened bolts....

I normally just use my 1/2" drive "wall drive" socket and breaker bar.

What are you trying to undo it with?

Just a normal 17mm socket. It's not a great kit I don't think, bit of play in it and the bolt is ever so slightly rounded which isn't helping (last change was done by a garage :rolleyes:). It's still solid on there. The only thing like a bar I have to hand is a standard wheel bolt removal tool, which I've slid over the socket handle to give me more leverage, but still no joy. Losing my rag now!

I find its easier to get a good straight grip on it with a good old fashioned spanner. If its really, really stuck you could try warming the sump pan a little as a last resort with a heat gun/blowtorch. Don't go mad though.

And on a parallel note, if you have changed your sump pan for a new one, don't assume the factory fitted sump bung is tight. Ask me how I know! :unsure:

Did you try shocking it? decent fitting spanner and a few sharp taps from a mallet on the end of the spanner

TBH, your better fixing this properly now, than messing around trying to syphon oil out etc.

Perhaps someone off the forum is nearby that can lend a hand?

WD40 isn't a penetrating oil- WD stands for 'water displacement'...
Get some 'plus gas' on it, leave overnight and try again with the above suggested methods..

half inch ratchet with a 6 sided socket(importent as a multi sided one will just totaly destoy your aready rounding bolt)keep straight and a long tough bar i use a cut up scaff tube but can use breaker bar = jb done id of lent a hand but im nowhere near mate jobs always become a nighmare when you hae to makedo with a tool that just wont hack it bestto just stop acuire wat you need and go again

WD may not be the best, but it does say 'loosens rusted parts' on the can.

Cheers for the offer mate. Need some better tools I think....

to be fair though the sump plug isn't rusted, it's a chemical reaction if it won't budge or a mechanical one if it hasn't fused.

penetrating oil will be best.

or maybe let a shop monkey do it? then its their fault and responsibility to fix if it goes horribly wrong ?

The offending bolt:
165180_10150379179940441_599085440_16828268_4114835_n.jpg

Heh that looks properly mashed.

I'd be getting yourself a new plug first off, then let a garage get it out and refit your new plug.

I took mine to garage and they tried (allegedly) all kinds of bars and couldn't budge it. I bought a ring spanner and mallet from halfords, gave the plug a few whacks with the mallet and a small amount of wd. put the spanner on it and then put my foot on the spanner (oh yeah had the bonnet up too) I held on the bumper and pushed like f**k with my legs until I felt it move. I thought it had just burred the head of the plug but had actually moved it, enough to give it another turn on the spanner. also they do tighten up easily and refuse to budge without force.