AEB 150 to BAM 225. Any issues?

sprint_48

Reaction score
Website
www.badlyparkeddubs.co.uk
Thinking of making my B5 a more entertaining drive and am considering a BAM code engine swap. Are there any issues I should be aware of, or is it just a straight block (and Ko4?) exchange?

AEB to BAM would be a bit of a downgrade. Your AEB being largeport is much better than the small port BAM head. I'd say keep the engine, uprate the rods and a big turbo :) (with a few other bits also to suit)

agreed aeb head is better. bigger turbo bottomend stregthening and re-map.

BAM wouldnt fit, as its a transverse engine. Manifolds and turbo sit in a different position.

If you want 225hp then i'd look at getting/fitting a k03-073 turbo, or for more something like a frcankenturbo or Scroll products hybrid then get a map to suit.

Ah, Ok. Wasn't aware of the engine differences. I'm new to turbo's as I've moved from N/A oldskool VW's (Mk2 Gti's) to an A4.

I thought they were basically the same block, just in different stages of tune. Heard the 1.8T is good for 300bhp (with a lot of work), but I'd be happy with 200. So, turbo and map is the way to go. Would this need an uprated intercooler too?

A remap would get you close to 200bhp on the standard k03 turbo you have :)

I'd recommend before you do anything, get new oil pump and pick up and if possible get a new oil to the turbo

Yeah, have thought about a map. Thing is, my car's smoking a bit so am a bit apprehensive about pushing more power through it. Was just thinking about putting a more powerful engine in instead as I'm unsure on the health of mine. Will be reattempting an oil change today (if I can budge my ****** seized sump plug), as it is looking very black, and see if that helps.

First thing i'd be doing is getting an oil pressure guage fitted, as this will let you see how healthy the motor is.

If its smoking, it could be the turbo, or the valve guides or rings.

Remap on your stock turbo is only good for about 180-190hp tbh.

If the turbos away then i'd be looking at a Scroll K04-sp54 as a minimum upgrade, then a remap to suit.

Is there an easy way to tell if it's the turbo? Power delivery doesn't seem to have changed (still fairly non-eventful). Thanks for all your advice on my posts by the way mate, I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to engineering