Engine temperature

jamie226bhp

Reaction score
Just been out and car got to 90 on the gauge then I noticed it start to drop til it got to 60 stat and temp sender only a few months old, would I be correct in thinking the viscous fan is sticking on

Viscous fan runs all the time anyway. Does sound like the thermostat is stuck open.

Take it on a good run and see what happens? i know from experiance if your car has a very good cooling system with a viscus fan it sometimes needs a good run too operate stat properly!

Will see if a long run makes any difference, although it did get unto temp but as soon as the fan kicked in it dropped all the way down and the fan didn't seem to switch off and both the stat and sender are only two months old

Check the sender and stat the fan could run all day and not effect the temp if the stat is OK.

Just been out and car got to 90 on the gauge then I noticed it start to drop til it got to 60 stat and temp sender only a few months old, would I be correct in thinking the viscous fan is sticking on
Have you tried Bleeding the system probably air in from when you changed the Stat can be hard to get out sometimes..
I have had same problem before after changing Stat..

Last edited:
It will be the stat.

Even if theres a force 10 gale blowing thru the radiator it shouldnt matter, if the stat is working it will just close down the flow thru the radiator to control the temperature.

Stat is new though, well two months are they prone to going wrong even when only this old

I changed one on a B5 and it made no difference so looked at everything again! Then fitted some temperature data recorders from work and they confirmed the temp dropped off the faster I drove. I then fitted an original Audi thermostat and perfect bang on 90 degrees all day long.

Got from gsf but the sender was the green one and the stat was the better quality one

Maybe just a bad one. Mine was like this then i changed the stat and it never moves off 90 deg when warm now.

Cheap stats known to be faulty straight after fitting!!!!

Depends how better quality yours is? Even then still points to that.

You can do a quick hot water test on the stat to check it opens/closes fully.