Badger5Volks Autos
    Lord wont u buy me a V10 R8!

Status

Question Exhaust Saga Continues......

Evening Chaps (and Ladys)
    After a bit of a chat with Aragorn the other day, im still in two minds about what to do with an exhaust. Now the options are the 'cheap ebay' units or a exhaust frabricator, as there is no way im paying 1/4 of what my car is worth for a milltek. Now I want a manifold system minus pre cats and cats, staying dual-exit all the way to the back box.
    I spoke to a friendly company in walsall called mij performance. Now the guy on phone told me that I would need 100-cell sport pre-cats because they have sensors and without the cat, my light would be on. now is this true? or is he trying to squeeze a couple more hundred out of my for sport ones???? I was told by someone else that someone like MRC could change the ECU to ignore the 'fault'. Anyways, they quoted my 950 ( including fuel allowance of 25, which i thought was pretty cool) all in and guarantee the work for the life of the vehicle which is piece of mind. I thought that was a good price, but I reakon a bit of swooning will get it down to 900, specially if the work is good, cos ill put the word in on here and thats got to be worth a few quid to them. My only issue is its a hour and half from me in Reading, so does anyone know a fabricator closer to me and at the same price or better??

On to option 2, a 450 ebay jobbie, but still needs to be fitted by someone, which i expect would be a couple of hundred quid.
    AUDI S4 B5 2.7L V6 TURBO BACK EXHAUST NON - RES 97-02 on eBay (end time 26-Jan-11 10:17:51 GMT)

I open the floor to responses............
    2000 B5 S4 - MRC Remap - RS2 Sparks - Pipercross Element (dried) + Modified Airbox - Forge Divs - Samco Hose's - KW's dropped 50mm - 18" RONAL R41 in gun metal grey - Black Diamond Combi Disc's + Predator Pads - Brushed Alloy Mirrors - Short Shifter - Full Recaro - Carbon Trim - Bose. More to come, watch this space.......

2. # ADS
    ADS

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Most S4's only have two lambdas, and so wont care if you completely decat. Very late 2000 and 2001 models have four lambdas, and will bring up a code if your running without a cat. You'll have to have a peek and see what your car has.

As i've said in previous threads, i'd fit some 100cell cats anyway, because it makes next to no difference to power, and saves the MOT hassle.

I'm not doubting the guys quote, but i have to say i the price does sound exceedingly good for a turbo back system. Theres a LOT of work in fabricating the downpipes, and i'd be concerned that he'd just be modifying the standard downpipes rather than building afresh.

If i was spending in the region hes quoted then i'd personally be looking at some Loba 3" downpipes, and hooking them up to an XS Power system.

On a budget i'd be using XS power system and downpipes, modified with a pair of sport cats and proper flexis.
    Last edited by aragorn; 7th January 2011 at 22:08.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    I should add, the "ebay" XS Power system can be had for quite a bit less than 450...

Downpipes for 95:
    1997-2002 AUDI S4 B5 2.7L V6 EXHAUST DOWN PIPE on eBay (end time 29-Jan-11 11:05:41 GMT)

System for 199:

97-02 AUDI A4 S4 B5 2.7L V6 EXHAUST CAT BACK SYSTEM on eBay (end time 06-Feb-11 11:00:19 GMT)

Lord wont u buy me a V10 R8!

Status
    this was sport pre-cats, not cats. The quote is a full build. so 100-cell pre-cats with downpipes, de-cat pipes, then a x-pipe is fitted, as the S4 can sound like a muscle car without it, and I dont want a audi that sounds like it has hemi v12 in it!!! the exhaust will then stay 2.5" dual-exit through mid-box and then out to back box. then I just have to decide on tailpipe design ;o) I was even tempted to make it twin-pipe both sides like the new S4's, but i know the tyre storage causes issue with that, and I dont want it looking like a nova gone wrong!!!
    2000 B5 S4 - MRC Remap - RS2 Sparks - Pipercross Element (dried) + Modified Airbox - Forge Divs - Samco Hose's - KW's dropped 50mm - 18" RONAL R41 in gun metal grey - Black Diamond Combi Disc's + Predator Pads - Brushed Alloy Mirrors - Short Shifter - Full Recaro - Carbon Trim - Bose. More to come, watch this space.......

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    I wouldnt put the cat in the "pre-cat" position, stick it where the main cat is under the car, as it helps the flow out of the turbo.

Xpipe systems have their own distinct sound.

Status
    I am doing the similar.

XS Power DP's
    instead of the ball and socket joiners, there will be TIG'd flexies
    then Charlie at ProSpeed in Cardiff is doing the rest of the system in 3" mandrel with two boxes and any tailpipe option I want.

Andy
    there is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes!!