98'-99' maintenance

ivkat

Reaction score
Hi, i am new to this forum and am very close to purchasing a 98' or 99' a4 1.8 t quattro. Anyway i want to get one with around 50 or 60k mi, but i have read some reviews about there being a lot of mechanical maintanence issues with the car at around 80k-100k mi. Is this true, and if it is, what are the most common problems and their expense? (ie: should i buy this car?) thanks for the help in advance.

You can do a search and you will probably find more than what I am going to say, but here goes.

I bought a 98 A4 with about the same amount of miles on it about two years ago. So far, nothing out of the ordinary has happened except the oil pump went out on me because of some known sludge issues with the 1.8T engine. Anyway, got that sorted and started using a larger oil filter with fully synthetic oil now, and there have been no problems.

I have replaced normal things like wheel bearings, tie rod ends, filters, plugs, etc. But nothing else major. For me the car has been rock solic (touch wood) and I am at 107,000 miles right now. Like I said, do a search and you will find more info.

[ QUOTE ]
ivkat said:
but i have read some reviews about there being a lot of mechanical maintanence issues with the car at around 80k-100k mi.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi mate and welcome , think u will find ALL cars at that milage will have a "mid life crisis" i have had to replace "wear and tear" parts but nothing major, i think u will find they are solid cars (if u havent owned one b4 ) and hope u have fun with new car ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

The control arms got recalled (at least in the states) recently. I got mine replaced the other day, and I'm also sending in for reimbursement for work I had done on them a year and a half ago...