Monster MotorsportJMB Retrofits
    pjw
    1st Gear

Status

Engine upgrade advice. 1.6 to 1.8t

I have some spare cash in the new year for an engine change to a 1.8t. Some helpful info from aragorn about the gearboxes being the same has now prompted me to ask a few questions in case others have done it in the past.

Are the centre sections the same? ie would i only have to find a downpipe from the turbo?

Can i just unplug the 1.6 loom and ECU and just swap them over or will i have to wire other stuff in, such as cam sensors and coilpacks? (my 1.6 is a dizzy model)

The other stuff i figure would be ok, if the mounts are different ill just replace them. ill be using the same gearbox so i wont be touching driveshafts.

Finally ive realised theres quite a few 1.8t engines and codes.. which one is the one i should be looking for?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
    Paul

Purpur A4 B5 - -50mm - S4 Interior - RS6 Alloys - 3" Stainless Exhaust - K&N Intake - HID

2. # ADS
    ADS

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    The biggest problem is the differences in brakes from even a std 1.8, they are tiny in comparison. You will need new front calipers and discs.

Then the engine, loom, turbo, intercooler and piping, some water pipes, exhaust complete as the 1.6 one will be too small. Airbox with MAF fuel pipes and pump.

All of this is assuming you have a complete 1.8t engine with all manifolds, cat, lambda, injectors,I CM, turbo, coil packs ,starter and alternator.

I took a year to collect the parts required to convert a 1.8 to a 1.8t and even being selective it costed me IRO 800-1000. Then i had to insure it as a modified car too.

Cheapest engine will be the 150 BHP AEB unit

1st Gear

Status
    i have the whole lot for you on a rear ended car that was write offbut bought back to brake if your seriouse about it then pmm me and well sort something out have ecu loom engine box mounts ect the whole lot much easier tan sourcing all silly parts that dont come with engine on own ect

1st Gear

Status
    You probably don't want to hear this but the best thing you can do is buy an A4 1.8t and swap the bits you like from your existing car over. It is simply not worth the hassle or expense to do an engine swap. A 1.6 with a 1.8t in it is never going to be the quite the same, it will end up costing you more than buying one in the first place, more expensive to insure etc.

For comparison I sold my 1.8t for 1000, it was in excellent condition both mechanically and cosmetically. Can't see how you will able to buy an engine, brakes, exhaust etc. and all needed ancillaries and get it swapped over for that? Especially if you factor in selling your "old" car as well.

Can never see the point in doing an engine swap if you can buy the same car that had one fitted as standard?