Volks AutosBadger5
    The Fiend!

Status

s4 stainless exhaust

Hi ,
    im thinking about buying a stainless cat back exhaust system for my s4 off ebay, but i was wondering if you guys have any info on the quality of these systems as the seem almost too good to be true at just under Ł200
    do they fit ?
    how do they sound?
    If any of you have bought one i would be greatful for your advice,
    Thanks.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Never had eBay experience but as a 3rd time milltek owner I've never looked back! Had a 200 cell res system on the s3 that was really nice, put her off the road (minor) and needed a new mid section so went non res an it was even better!
    Realised as the s4 was less 'boy racer' esk I'd mibbe get away with even more in the s4 so went 100 cell cats an non res it's f*ckin beautiful! Still get tunnel grins! I'd start with a decent back box but highflow cats are where the actions at... IMHO
    Audi S4 Black on Black. 1999(T)facelift, Aluminium Mirrors, KW Varient 3 coilovers, AmD remap, uprated D/V's, 315bhp375Lb/ft torque, milltek down, 100cpsi cats an back, S4 B6 18" Oem runnin toyo T1-R's. Rs4 B5 front brakes still to fit...

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Millteks are a ripoff IMO.

The XS Power systems on ebay are pretty decent for the money, especially when coupled with the downpipes. They fit reasonably well, although most folk seem to take them into an exhaust shop and get them to weld a flexi into the downpipes as the XS systems built in coupler isnt that great, and if you use the downpipes and system, you'll want to get the narrowing removed, as both parts are designed to work with the stock exhaust, so it narrows down for the connection.

IIRC they've also released the downpipes with integrated cats, so no MOT problems either.

Defo what i'd be looking at if i owned an S4 and wasnt aiming for bonkers power from it, and the downpipes are imo a must.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC ÂŁ999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    just ditch the cats

1st Gear

Status
    i'm no milltek sales man but mods arnt about 'need' so its entirely down to your choice mate,
    if you want a system that's 'pretty decent' that fits 'reasonably well' with couplers that 'arnt that great' then Ł440 vs Ł1900 is a no brainier, the milltek value for money can be discussed but i believe the quality speaks for itself and there reputation proceeds them
    you'll never get your money back anyway but i know i'd be buying a milltek S4 over a 'XSpower' at resale

keep us updated
    'ps' apparently downpipes make very little difference? would like to be proved wrong cause if they do i want ones lol
    Audi S4 Black on Black. 1999(T)facelift, Aluminium Mirrors, KW Varient 3 coilovers, AmD remap, uprated D/V's, 315bhp375Lb/ft torque, milltek down, 100cpsi cats an back, S4 B6 18" Oem runnin toyo T1-R's. Rs4 B5 front brakes still to fit...

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    My point is that for the Ł1900 you'd spend on a full turbo back Milltek, you'd be able to buy some tasty Loba 3" downpipes, and have your local exhaust shop fabricate a better system to your exacting specification and probably have enough change for a fortnight abroad.

Everyone on SRS seems to suggest downpipes make a huge difference, espeically as it gets rid of the four restrictive cats the stock downpipes house, but if you're going to do them, you may as well go 3" from the likes of Loba or MRC, as they're cheaper than the Milltek bits and bigger to boot.

Status

Exhaust

I have the XS power DP's

I am as said getting flexies added in as well, after that I am getting the whole thing made at ProSpeed to spec.....

Charlie said if I made him make the downpipes he would kick me in the nuts! ;-) (he is a mate of mine!)

Andy
    there is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes!!

1st Gear

Status
    well it wouldn't be the first time i'd waisted money on mods.... there is the issue of wether i'm trying to convince you or me that i'm right lol....

The Fiend!

Status
    As much as i appreciate that a milltek system is supposed to be the ultimate in build quality it is only an exhaust system ! and as much as i would like one im not willing to spend the price of a decent car on one.
    my original system is getting a bit shabby and ill be needing a decent replacement in the near future !
    My car isnt heavily modified, its pretty standard apart from an oettinger chip (about 320 bhp) and a k+n induction kit,
    the reason i asked about the xs power system is that its a toss up between my local custom pipe shop and xs power, but i dont want something thats gonna scare the neighbours kids when im goin to work in the morning! lol

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    If you leave the stock downpipes then it wont be loud at all. The Four cats in there will seriously dampen the sound.

Personally, i'd be wanting to do the downpipes as well, as thats where the gains are to be had.

The Fiend!

Status
    thanks for your help so far, i think i will go for the xs power pipe ! if i decide to buy the downpipes is there going to be a huge noise difference ? I like the fact that my car looks pretty sedate and dosnt really stand out from the crowd but obviously more power is allways welcomed !!!

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

Status
    Exhaust - Stainless Steel Car Exhaust Systems - Longlife Exhausts
    There's a dealer locator not to sure if there one in N.Ireland but they do them while you wait around 300/400 quid.
    1999 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport - Volcano Black

Mods - Frankenturbo F21 Kit - 3" MAF - Saab Reds - THS Decat - Non Res Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - PFR6Q Plugs - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount
    To do/planned -Eibach pro's - GT2871/76R + FMIC + ME7 (maybe) + Engine/stroker Build

The Fiend!

Status
    Cheers m8 but there is none in northern ireland ! We have something similar here called powerflow but i thought the xs power route may be a bit more tried and tested since its a pretty rare car round this area , there isnt much chance that they have made one before!

staylowmovefast

Status
    Not a massive fan of milltek. Mine cracked after 6 months (from new)so I welded it. The ballache it is to remove it and refit it (huge ballache) and send the damaged section to milltek for repair/replacement under warranty wasnt worth the aggro. The best zorsts I've ever had the pleasure of fitting are HKS and Blitz. Bloody shame they dont do them for Audis!
    IT COULD ALWAYS BE WORSE SO KEEP ON SMILING

staylowmovefast

Status
    Oh P.S Aragorn, you never agree with anything! Lol!

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Lol, i agreed with you on this one though didnt i? :P

2nd Gear

Status
    On a car like the S4 I would be doing it properly, and spending that little bit more on the Milltek system!!

We are currently running some great offers on the Milltek range, for the Cat- back systems check the JBS weblink below:-
    Select Vehicle - JBS

If you have any questions or queries please do not hesitate to ask!

Seb Hampson
    Parts/Sales Advisor

Tel/Fax 01246 455 005

staylowmovefast

Status
    At the end of the day its a length of hollow pipe thats bent to the dimensions of the underbelly of the car. I've actually had better systems on previous cars that were better than the current milltek I have on mine at the moment. I just dont think there worth the money they are, and I know from experience.

Reverse Gear

Status
    The big diff is with powerflow against miltek and the xs power systems are that powerflow are compression bent where the xs power and miltek are mandrel bent. Mandrel = slightly less restriction. I am lucky as i work for a custom exhaust builder so i have a 3" system on my s4 and all of it was made by me how i wanted it

Status
    the steel, thickness, box design (critical) all play a part

an exhaust builder that doesnt have a mandrel bender will usually use pre-bent sections for smooth transitions.

then the welding is the important factor.

4th Gear

Status
    I have the xs power one with piggies and its so quiet compared to all the other systems ive had. You cant beat it for the price !!
    99 Nogaro S4 now black bonnet and roof,blackdiamond discs and pads,Hybrid K04 with uprated actuators ,Rs4 clutch custom lightweight flywheel, esp lightweight pulley set ,Rs4 intake pipes ,rs4 mounts ,full samco hose set,F-hose delete ,BMC carbon induction, full stainless exhaust with de cat pipes, custom chip,18"ultra lights,LED rear clusters,6000k xenons ,LED sides,KW coilovers,powerflex bushes ,Boost guage in pillar pod,isotta steering wheel and gearknob,B&M short shifter

1st Gear

Status
    Milltek are'nt all that.... their quality can be shocking for the money you pay for them!
    Ive had 2 Milltek systems on 2 seperate S2's, and while they are good, they are not the best by a long shot.

I have now got an S4 with XS turbo back dual 2.5" system modified with flexies.
    Its been on the car 2 years now with no problems atall and sounds AWESOME.
    Its got no cats or pre-cats, and is quite happily handling 482bhp through them

Status
    Reputation can be down to mass volume..... rather than actually being that good.

the BEST systems are expensive, and I would just not pay it for a car worth Ł4k (I am talking Ł2000+ for a cat back) 316 stainless, back purged etc

Reverse Gear

Status
    I contacted vagtec about a duel milltek cat back system the reply was...................
    Hi Graham

Thanks for your enquiry.

We can do a cat back Milltek system for Ł797.89 inc VAT, we offer FREE fitting on all cat back systems we supply.

Hope this helps, happy hunting for the car.

Kind Regards

Jon Watts

hummmmmmmmmmmmm interesting, just gotta find the car now..........................
    Last edited by jammychap; 21st February 2011 at 15:10. Reason: spelling
    Current motor is a BMW 328i coupe, but planning on buying a S4-B5 bi-turbo this year

The Fiend!

Status
    At that price mate I assume they have quoted you for a single pipe system !
    in which case there is more power to be gained from a Ł200 xs power system !
    full dual pipes from front to rear and I know it might not last for ever but hey you can allmost buy 4 of them for that price .
    seems like a no brainer to me .

Status
    Agreed with above

Reverse Gear

Status
    Found this awsome sounding exhaust, I wonder how much....................... YouTube - Audi S4 Featuring Fast Intentions Custom Exhaust
    Current motor is a BMW 328i coupe, but planning on buying a S4-B5 bi-turbo this year

1st Gear

Status
    Mine sounds better than that
    Ill try to get some clips sorted next week