s4 stainless exhaust

IANS4

The Fiend!
Reaction score
Hi ,
im thinking about buying a stainless cat back exhaust system for my s4 off ebay, but i was wondering if you guys have any info on the quality of these systems as the seem almost too good to be true at just under £200
do they fit ?
how do they sound?
If any of you have bought one i would be greatful for your advice,
Thanks.:thumbsup:

Never had eBay experience but as a 3rd time milltek owner I've never looked back! Had a 200 cell res system on the s3 that was really nice, put her off the road (minor) and needed a new mid section so went non res an it was even better!
Realised as the s4 was less 'boy racer' esk I'd mibbe get away with even more in the s4 so went 100 cell cats an non res it's f*ckin beautiful! Still get tunnel grins! I'd start with a decent back box but highflow cats are where the actions at... IMHO

Millteks are a ripoff IMO.

The XS Power systems on ebay are pretty decent for the money, especially when coupled with the downpipes. They fit reasonably well, although most folk seem to take them into an exhaust shop and get them to weld a flexi into the downpipes as the XS systems built in coupler isnt that great, and if you use the downpipes and system, you'll want to get the narrowing removed, as both parts are designed to work with the stock exhaust, so it narrows down for the connection.

IIRC they've also released the downpipes with integrated cats, so no MOT problems either.

Defo what i'd be looking at if i owned an S4 and wasnt aiming for bonkers power from it, and the downpipes are imo a must.

just ditch the cats

i'm no milltek sales man but mods arnt about 'need' so its entirely down to your choice mate,
if you want a system that's 'pretty decent' that fits 'reasonably well' with couplers that 'arnt that great' then £440 vs £1900 is a no brainier, the milltek value for money can be discussed but i believe the quality speaks for itself and there reputation proceeds them
you'll never get your money back anyway but i know i'd be buying a milltek S4 over a 'XSpower' at resale

keep us updated
'ps' apparently downpipes make very little difference? would like to be proved wrong cause if they do i want ones lol

My point is that for the £1900 you'd spend on a full turbo back Milltek, you'd be able to buy some tasty Loba 3" downpipes, and have your local exhaust shop fabricate a better system to your exacting specification and probably have enough change for a fortnight abroad.

Everyone on SRS seems to suggest downpipes make a huge difference, espeically as it gets rid of the four restrictive cats the stock downpipes house, but if you're going to do them, you may as well go 3" from the likes of Loba or MRC, as they're cheaper than the Milltek bits and bigger to boot.

I have the XS power DP's

I am as said getting flexies added in as well, after that I am getting the whole thing made at ProSpeed to spec.....

Charlie said if I made him make the downpipes he would kick me in the nuts! ;-) (he is a mate of mine!)

Andy

well it wouldn't be the first time i'd waisted money on mods.... there is the issue of wether i'm trying to convince you or me that i'm right lol....

As much as i appreciate that a milltek system is supposed to be the ultimate in build quality it is only an exhaust system ! and as much as i would like one im not willing to spend the price of a decent car on one.
my original system is getting a bit shabby and ill be needing a decent replacement in the near future !
My car isnt heavily modified, its pretty standard apart from an oettinger chip (about 320 bhp) and a k+n induction kit,
the reason i asked about the xs power system is that its a toss up between my local custom pipe shop and xs power, but i dont want something thats gonna scare the neighbours kids when im goin to work in the morning! lol

If you leave the stock downpipes then it wont be loud at all. The Four cats in there will seriously dampen the sound.

Personally, i'd be wanting to do the downpipes as well, as thats where the gains are to be had.

thanks for your help so far, i think i will go for the xs power pipe ! if i decide to buy the downpipes is there going to be a huge noise difference ? I like the fact that my car looks pretty sedate and dosnt really stand out from the crowd but obviously more power is allways welcomed !!!

Cheers m8 but there is none in northern ireland ! We have something similar here called powerflow but i thought the xs power route may be a bit more tried and tested since its a pretty rare car round this area , there isnt much chance that they have made one before!

Not a massive fan of milltek. Mine cracked after 6 months (from new)so I welded it. The ballache it is to remove it and refit it (huge ballache) and send the damaged section to milltek for repair/replacement under warranty wasnt worth the aggro. The best zorsts I've ever had the pleasure of fitting are HKS and Blitz. ****** shame they dont do them for Audis!

On a car like the S4 I would be doing it properly, and spending that little bit more on the Milltek system!!

We are currently running some great offers on the Milltek range, for the Cat- back systems check the JBS weblink below:-
Select Vehicle - JBS

If you have any questions or queries please do not hesitate to ask!

Seb Hampson
Parts/Sales Advisor

At the end of the day its a length of hollow pipe thats bent to the dimensions of the underbelly of the car. I've actually had better systems on previous cars that were better than the current milltek I have on mine at the moment. I just dont think there worth the money they are, and I know from experience.

The big diff is with powerflow against miltek and the xs power systems are that powerflow are compression bent where the xs power and miltek are mandrel bent. Mandrel = slightly less restriction. I am lucky as i work for a custom exhaust builder so i have a 3" system on my s4 and all of it was made by me how i wanted it :)

the steel, thickness, box design (critical) all play a part

an exhaust builder that doesnt have a mandrel bender will usually use pre-bent sections for smooth transitions.

then the welding is the important factor.

I have the xs power one with piggies and its so quiet compared to all the other systems ive had. You cant beat it for the price !!

Milltek are'nt all that.... their quality can be shocking for the money you pay for them!
Ive had 2 Milltek systems on 2 seperate S2's, and while they are good, they are not the best by a long shot.

I have now got an S4 with XS turbo back dual 2.5" system modified with flexies.
Its been on the car 2 years now with no problems atall and sounds AWESOME.
Its got no cats or pre-cats, and is quite happily handling 482bhp through them

Reputation can be down to mass volume..... rather than actually being that good.

the BEST systems are expensive, and I would just not pay it for a car worth £4k (I am talking £2000+ for a cat back) 316 stainless, back purged etc

I contacted vagtec about a duel milltek cat back system the reply was...................
Hi Graham

Thanks for your enquiry.

We can do a cat back Milltek system for £797.89 inc VAT, we offer FREE fitting on all cat back systems we supply.

Hope this helps, happy hunting for the car.

Kind Regards

Jon Watts

hummmmmmmmmmmmm interesting, just gotta find the car now..........................

Last edited:
At that price mate I assume they have quoted you for a single pipe system !
in which case there is more power to be gained from a £200 xs power system !
full dual pipes from front to rear and I know it might not last for ever but hey you can allmost buy 4 of them for that price .
seems like a no brainer to me .

Mine sounds better than that ;)
Ill try to get some clips sorted next week