AH FabricationsEM Tuning
    Cam
    Neutral

Status

Change gearbox oil a4 quattro.

I went to audi dealers for some gear box oil. They advised that a 1999 1.8T quattro has a sealed system. Which means that the oil has to be refilled via the gearbox oil drain plug and requires a special tool that only audi dealers have. They also said it doesnt have a filling plug like most cars. Ive checked my gearbox and the drain plug is undone with a tamperproof spline socket and it also has what appears to be a filling plug wich requires a hex socket. Can anyone offer any information. Is what the audi dealers said correct?

2. # ADS
    ADS

pjw
    1st Gear

Status
    Not really. They arent the usual run of the mill plugs (like an 8mm square plug on fords and rovers) but they certainly arent out the way enough for you to get one. The drain one will just be an 8mm allen bolt and the fill one a large torx socket?

Is it the gearbox or the rear diff?

Your local motor factors should be able to advise you on oils they have on offer. just avoid halfords.
    Paul

Purpur A4 B5 - -50mm - S4 Interior - RS6 Alloys - 3" Stainless Exhaust - K&N Intake - HID

Cam
    Neutral

Status
    Thanks for your reply. Its the gearbox. Ive been under the car and all i can find is a tamperproof spline for the the drain. What appears to be the filling plug is a 17 or maybe 19mm allen i didnt measure it. What i really wish to know is can it be refilled without a special tool wich audi dealers mentioned.

2000 a4 1.8tqs-yellow

Status
    Yep tamper proof one is the drain. You can get a socket off ebay and the fill is just a hex.

pjw
    1st Gear

Status
    Im suprised that was the line off Audi, its not usual they are fishing for the work. To be honest aside from electrics most things the main dealer will tell you are their speciality are all DIYable.
    Paul

Purpur A4 B5 - -50mm - S4 Interior - RS6 Alloys - 3" Stainless Exhaust - K&N Intake - HID

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Probably find its 17mm hex for both. Unusual for the tamperproof spline with pimple one to be used on the TQS.

Full synth 75w90 iirc. Makes the gear changes better, do iiiiitttttt !!

2nd Gear

Status
    according to elsawin car must be completely level when filling and depending on exact box fill to either 4 or 9 mm below fill plug level, +or- 1mm as box is sensitive to oil level?
    A6 Avant 2.5tdi Quattro Sport 220bhp 458Nm 6 speed Manual

2000 a4 1.8tqs-yellow

Status
    I think i put a bit too much oil in when i did mine. When cold its a bit stiff going into 2nd,fine when warm. When its a bit warmer i think ill do it again and make sure i put in the right ammount.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    The Quattro boxes suggest level with the fill plug. FWD boxes say 7mm below fill plug.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

Status
    I have a slight leak on rear diff and need to do the shaft seal and I'm going to replace the box oil, can any one tell me what oil grade to put in both the diff and box and is the diff filler plug level aswel ???
    1999 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport - Volcano Black

Mods - Frankenturbo F4 Kit - THS Decat - Milltek - ECS Crank Pulley - 034 Snub + Bracket/Gbox Mounts - 1Z/S2 Clutch + Flywheel - 007p - ICM + EVAP Delete - S4 B6 345mm Brakes - 300mm Rear Brakes - Goodridge Hoses - LCR Splitter -S4 Bumbers + Skirts/Mouldings - OEM Xenons - Apikol Diff mounts - Polytek'd Rear Diff Mount
    To do - F21 Upgrade - 3" Maf/Saab red Injectors
    WANTED : Cheap 02/52 Passat 1.8T AWT Manual

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Both take 75w90 fully synthetic oil.

Diff fill plug is also the level plug.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Neutral

Status
    I use the side plug for level and the plug on the top of the transmission housing where the sensor goes in to fill the transmission with gear oil. I just use a long tube that is 1" round and a funnel.

Transmission and center diff share the same gear oil. They take a 75w90 GL4 gear oil, like the MT90 from Redline or Motul 300.

I had to buy one of the drain plug tools, cost me about $38 USD which included shipping.
    Last edited by Audi2ptzero; 27th December 2010 at 22:45.