A4 2.5 TDI - LIFT PUMP

diesel1998

diesel1998
Reaction score
Anyone have a source for the lift pump in the fuel tank?

1998 Audi A4 Saloon 2.5 TDI - Tiptronic

has it packed up? is it working when powered up at the in-tank component?

The lift pump is completely dead. Does not pump anything, needs to be replaced.

If your checking for fuel at the engine, you wont get anything.

The electric pump on the 6 cylinder diesel is only used to move fuel from the various "sections" of the tank, into the swirl pot. The injector pump up front "sucks" the fuel from the swirl pot, so at no point will you see any fuel coming out the feed lines with the IP disconnected.

^^^ thats true actually!
is the injection pump knackard?

The injection pump died. Replaced with a rebuilt, but after running for a while still get a code and goes into limp home mode.

Code is "start of injection regulation"

Any suggestions on what may be causing code? Found some suggestions on the web that faulty electric pump may be the cause.

The injection pump died. Replaced with a rebuilt, but after running for a while still get a code and goes into limp home mode.

Code is "start of injection regulation"

Any suggestions on what may be causing code? Found some suggestions on the web that faulty electric pump may be the cause.
The pump might be faulty or is incorectly adjusted- needs adjusting/setting-up with the computer and full VCDS ! Where abouts are you based ? Can you make-it to N. London ? I could set the pump for you...

if its timed up correctly, then thats a pump fault. the pump can (or should be able to....) advance and ****** the start of injection point in relation to running conditions. im guessing it cant or doesnt have the full range the ecu thinks it should have.....

we sent one off to a company down south somewhere was off a '98 manual quattro (the car didnt run). it came back "rebuilt", the car now started.... but had this, or a v similar sounding fault code. was also really "flat" to drive. we sent the pump back to them and on second try was fine

you need to get it on the computer check the set up, and check its working.

Last edited:
One small detail....the garage isn't experienced with the 2.5 tdi. I'm in the US and we have the 1.9 TDI jetta's and passats.
I recall the mechanic saying the timing was set about 14 ATDC. I see in ELSA software timing should be 2 ATDC.

Should the VAGCOM have the correct range in the software?

One small detail....the garage isn't experienced with the 2.5 tdi. I'm in the US and we have the 1.9 TDI jetta's and passats.
I recall the mechanic saying the timing was set about 14 ATDC. I see in ELSA software timing should be 2 ATDC.

Should the VAGCOM have the correct range in the software?

If he's got the VCDS then its a doddle to set the pump, measuring block 04 in the engine controller, click the bassic settings button then click on the Tdi timing on the right hand side of the screen then select the engine code from the drop down box. The timing should be above the blue line towards the top of the green line. If the timing is right then the computer will tell you if its within spec. I tend to keep-it towards the top, makes the engine slightly noisier but its a bit more powerfull and returns better fuel ecconomy !

if its not in spec, then it will need adjusting. you adjust the timing by adjusting the drive belt pulley for the pump belt on the n/s cam pulley. the three 6mm allen bolts have slotted holes.

Problem solved. Used murran's advice and adjusted the timing at the pump and cam. Runs great. No more limp mode.