LOST MY ONLY KEY.....

Izzy1

Vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
What are my options?
Car is locked and has been unused all weekend.
How long will Audi take to get me a new key?
or Do i try a scrappy and change locks with key?
if i opt to change the locks getting into the car will be an issue...
if i opt to get a key from dealers someone may still have my original key...

I have my other car to get about for the time being but need a solution as i don't know whose hands my keys are in at the moment.

I was in the process of getting a spare key. just my luck.

Advice needed please.

Last edited:
i will try my insurance tomorrow and see if i have key cover. but doubt i do.
from the scrappy i should be able to get locks and keys which will then need to be programmed to the immoblizer. but my concern is how do i get into the car to change them. trying to find the cheapest and fastest solution.

i want to avoid using a locksmith if i can as i know how pricey they can be. but i have a number of someone who was going to make me a duplicut key. will enquire tomorrow when they open.

well doing it scrappy way wont realy be cheap or fast
u will have to break in to the car so a repair there change every lock igg and get it to audi or someone in to recode

best bet use the libk or audi

You might have to go to audi ,bend over and pull your trousers down. They will be able to get a key from the vin number i think?

to be honest iv given you the 3 options
1 call the locksmith that can also recode that also comes to you
2 scrap yard break in car fit new lockset get it recoded by audi or someone else
3 go see audi with all docs id etc order key wait for it to come get key toe it to them get it recoded
thats the only ways you can do it

number 1 is quickest

If I get a new key from Audi is there a way to decode my lost key so it don't work?

Local locksmith can provide a cut key with remote for £100 just need to programme myself. I should be able to programme with Vagcom right?

no you cant use vcds to code the immobilser needs a difrent system and codes make sure you get the chip in that key if your gona buy it its what links the immobilser

will they code it for you ?

yeah they can code but will then charge a total of £160 plus vat. i know someone with VCDS who is local so he should be able to code it for me.

yeah they can code but will then charge a total of £160 plus vat. i know someone with VCDS who is local so he should be able to code it for me.

as above you cant code it with VCDS and i think 160 all in is a very good price

can you obtain the SKC code off the clocks using vag taco? how will the locksmith get the immobilizer code? any ideas?

You can code with Vagcom/VCDS, you just need the SKC code.

Vagtacho will fetch the SKC from the immo unit for you.

as above rember to put a 0 before the 4 digit SKC code you get

From someone who hasnt lost a key, is it worthwhile using the above methods to preempt a loss, getting the codes etc..

its always worth geting a spare key just incase
for vags if it comes with 1 key i get 1 ready have it cut and then if i mislay a ket at least i can get in it and recovered with no damage
then get it recoded if when i need to its the price that put ppl off

if you use vag tacho to get the pin you can code the key with it too.
Make sure you get the right remote.

should find out later today if I have a new key ready for pick up. will then find out if we can get a hold of the SKC code and programme the key. will keep you guys posted.

picked up my replacment key this morning.
tried it in the door and nothing. a bit or force and the barrel just moves 360 and then locks in place again. still can't get into the car.
what does this mean? Could it have been cut wrong?
I've spoken to the company that made the key and they are waiting for the guy who cut the key to return tomorrow.
in the mean time i can't do anything else.

could meen 2 things

they cut the key wrong
or
they cut the key to your vin and its not the lock set it came from the factory with

but if it spins the lock sounds like its cut ok and you have a faulty lock have you tried the boot lock ?

i was thinking the same. i've tried in the boot and same thing, just spins. i'm really hoping they have cut the key wrong and the locks have not been replaced in the past.

where do I stand now?

i dont realy know i had to remove a lock and have the key cut to the lock on a salvage 1 i had
IF you have to smash a window (i hope you dont)
smash the front there easy to get and easy to fit
the back are a fukker

When both sets of keys to my 97 b5 a4 were stolen i got in through the door lock then bought 1 ign barrel 1 door lock i then re tumbled the other locks to match the new drivers and new ignition then coded the keys via a company which cost 30.00 the locks and ign cost 40.00 cause i got the full column because the barrel itself has the bolt heads rounded of so really hard to drill out if that makes sense . The column took about 30 mins to swap the locks were a bit more fidly and took most of the day to get right.

Damage free entry is easy through the top of the door frame and a tool but because i had to remove the door lock to re tumble it was easier to get in through that instead.

Just pop a rear quarter if you still cant get in. You can get a whole lockset for about £100 but when ive replaced an ignition barrel on a german car before (merc) you had to have the key to get it out. So i had to chisel and dremel it out, which was messy.

I would go back to the main dealer and just get them to check its correct in case they have made an error. Is your car a prefacelift?

Im pretty sure the lock barrels shouldnt rotate fully at all, not even if you have the correct key. Theres a small pin on the back of the barrel which restricts it to about 70 degrees. This is prefacelift mind.

the rear quarterlights are the most expensive on the car...

Most cars require the key to remove the ignition barrel, otherwise it would be a bit pointless wouldnt it!

I presume you're on about buying new.. Who the hell buys new parts like that for the age of the car? Theyre £20 off ebay.

The other advantage is that theyre easy to refit.

drove to the shop this morning and told them my problem. Double checked the VIN number and the email that came back from Germany, Germany advised that the 9th digit of my VIN number should be a number 2 not letter Z. but both log book and windscreen state it's a Z not a 2. they sending it back to Germany along with a copy of the V5 to advise further.
Would 1 digit really make much of a difference?

The locksmiths have advised that if the locks have been replaced, they will charge a further £60 to come out, pick the locks, cut a new key and code it for me.

yes 1 didgit would fk it up
and for the extra 60 for them to get in the car cut and code is good

will find out later today if they have cut the key wrong. fingers crossed i don't have to folk out another £60.

Germany have sent back the same code.
Duplicut will recut the key incase it wasn't cut properly the 1st time round. will try and pick up tonight or 1st thing tomorrow.
if this fails i'll have to call them out to pick the lock and make me a key.

Good news. key was cut wrong. don't need to replace locks. Will pick up new blade tomorrow and then it's just a matter of getting it programmed.

Always nice to know you tried again and got it sorted :D

Happy for you mate, i know the feeling of finally sorting something after so much ******* about.

Have a good xmas

Went down yesterday and got a new blade cut, the temp key that was cut was also thrown in and the guy put a chip in it for me. so i now have two keys for the audi. while i was there i asked if the guy could cut me a blade for the vw which he kindly did with no extra cost. so i just need a fob for the vw and i'll have two keys for that also. was a good day. top customer service.
Just need to get them all programmed and i'm all set.

Merry Xmas ALL