Starting issues 2.8 v6

Foxmeister

Fired Up!
Reaction score
After the car lying for long periods of time ive noticed that when starting the car, it can sometimes be tempramental. I vaguely remember the previous owner mentioning something about it, but have just replaced the battery and preparing the car for transport to bodyshop in a couple of weeks.

The first time it started no problem and i let it idle for a few minutes with no issues, after turning it off i went to try again to make sure the battery had enough charge to re-start, thats when it kicked over and revved to just over 1k as normal for around a second or 2, then it died instead of dropping to an idle. This happened 3 or 4 times at which point i gave up as i had to go out.

Just there i tried again, same starting issue the first 3 attempts then it started as normal and let it idle again.

I dont imagine it to be too much of an issue, just something that bugs me and would like it sorted. Im sure i have receipts for a reader coil that was changed by previous owner but hasnt helped, anybody else had this experience?

Not sure if it immob related, as when it cuts out its definately being cut electrically and not a rough start/idle etc. Also the immob light continues to flash after car cuts out:think: Any thoughts???

Its the immo thats cutting the engine.

Stick the key in, turn the ignition on and wait. If the light keeps flashing theres a problem with the key or reader coil.

You may find if theres a weak signal you can just turn the ignition on and wait a few seconds for the light to go off before trying to start.

Scan the immo box or instrument cluster for fault codes and see what it says.

Its the immo thats cutting the engine.

Stick the key in, turn the ignition on and wait. If the light keeps flashing theres a problem with the key or reader coil.

You may find if theres a weak signal you can just turn the ignition on and wait a few seconds for the light to go off before trying to start.

Scan the immo box or instrument cluster for fault codes and see what it says.

Cheers Aragorn, suspected it might end up this.

Yes, sometimes the light continues to flash if just turning ign on, so definately must be the signal. The key has definately seen better days, the buttons for remote lock are almost sunk right in and hard to press, will need to look into getting a new key done too.

Unforunately i dont have Vagcom or laptop, is there any other types that are handheld that would do the job???

Ok, see if it i can get me a shonky crimbo pressie then!!! Ha.

Wots the best vagcom lead to get for it??? Dont want full software or that, just simple stuff.