Project Shed

Heh, "sort of".

Where are we....

Starting at the front, the parts for the bottom end are all here, unfortunately i'm building an engine for someone else which is tying up my stand, so until thats done i cant really start on the motor itself.

Moving inside, i've washed all the carpets and refitted the front seats. I then dismantled the console and removed it so i can give it a wash. I've also acquired an armrest from the local scrappy with a leather lid for the grand sum of £15, so that can go back in along with the washed console. I'm wanting to sort out the airbags before i put the dash back together though, as if the Airbag ECU is away it will all need to come back out.

The rear end boot floor has been roughly reshaped with my large lump hammer so the spare wheel now fits. I've also replaced the boot hinges as they were siezed, and replaced the cracked light lens with a good one.

The rear bumper is now here, but i need to paint it before it can go on.

Rear suspension is installed, but i cant fit the rear brakes until i sort the avant as i'm using the old disks and pads from the avant on Shed.

I took some (particularly crap) photos, but havent uploaded them yet, will do that later on.

Immediate Plan of action as it stands goes something like:

Sort Avant rear end ASAP releasing the braking parts for Shed, allowing me to finish the rear suspension and get the rear wheels on, and the back end sitting on the floor again.
Get bumper painted and installed.
Buy and fit airbags and test that the ECU is working, then reassemble the interior, preferably along with wiring for head unit etc.
Once TT engine is out the way start on engine build.

Then further down the line...
Fit front suspension.
Install engine.

So some progress at last (not much mind, but meh)

Got the bumper painted a couple weeks ago, but didnt have the side mounts so couldnt get it fitted. Finally got a monster order thru from Audi including the side mounts so set about getting the bumper installed today.

Before it started it looked like this, i've painted the tailpipes black, and waxoyled the area where the paint had all flaked off:
DSC_0108.jpg

A little while later:
DSC_0110.jpg

DSC_0113.jpg

Was a bit of a pig tbh, offside rear quarter is about 10mm shorter than it should be due to the accident damage. I ended up elongating the holes in the alloy mounting bracket and then adjusting it in and out to get the best balance. Its slightly overhanging the arch but the boot lid shuts properly and the overhang under the light cluster isnt too bad. From a few feet it looks half decent.

I also happened to pick up a set of transmission mounting brackets from the breakers at the weekend, so decided to swap those in along with some polyurethane filled tranny mounts. Some pics comparing the snapped mounts with the scrapyard replacements:

DSC_0109.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

A quick snap of the suspension from a couple weeks ago:

DSC_0081.jpg

Also dropped the two rear wheels into a local garage to install the tyres, so once i fit the rear brakes i can get the wheels on and get the rear end lowered onto the ground finally. Using the old disks and pads off the Avant, which should be freed up next weekend, as i'm rebuilding its rear suspension then.

Things seem to be moving along at last!

you really dont like chrome do you? lol however i quite like the black tips. Hopefully Audi warehouse will have it all in stock and not on back order.

coming along nicely
which airbags do you need? got a passenger one you can have if you need it

Cheers Guys.

Ras: the audi parts order already arrived, hence the bumper is on! and no, i dont like chrome.

old_skool: thanks for the offer, i need both the passenger and drivers airbag. Do you have the mounting brackets and frame/cover with the passenger one as i need all of these to go with it. Looks like the frame is designed to give out upon bag deployment, and its all snapped/twisted. Will drop you a PM.

Some pics from today:

DSC_0136.jpg

DSC_0135.jpg

Block is mounted up on the stand, and i've stripped the pistons of their rings and rods. Also pulled the squirters from the spare block ready to go in.

Couldnt go any further as i've run out of blue roll to clean stuff!

So i've been a bit lazy with the updates!

I had a friend visiting a couple of weeks ago, so we decided to do some work on the engine.

My mate cleaned up the pistons and fitted the rods, while i installed the crank shaft into the block:

DSC_0140.jpg

DSC_0139.jpg

We then set about installing the pistons/rods:

DSC_0142.jpg

22052011596.jpg

We stopped there, as i didnt have any of the gaskets required to do any more.

I've since done nothing else to it, but the gaskets are on order, so more progess with that shortly.

I've also baught a flywheel from a 2.0 Audi Coupe, which i'm going to have redrilled to take a 240mm pressure plate (will detail this more in a bit):

100_4157.JPG

This weekend i've been trying to get the car back onto its wheels, so ordered another pair of eagles and dropped them into the garage on saturday to get them mounted. Will be thursday before i collect.

Today i set about putting the suspension and front brakes back together, as well as some other niggles with the front end.

First off the washer bottle was split and the nearside front wing stabilising brackets were bent, so i dug out a spare bottle i had from a PFL car and compared them:

100_4151.JPG

Bit different, but mounting points were the same so on it went. I discovered one of the stabilising brackets touched the bottle, so reshaped the bracket with the hammer. Streightened out the other bracket and bolted it all back together:

100_4153.JPG

Rebuilt the front suspension, bolted the brake disks and pads back in along with braided flexis:

100_4152.JPG

100_4155.JPG

The car also had been equipped with a very early '96 offside front wing, i happened to have a facelift wing in black already (i'd baught it to upgrade my old FWD A4, but sold the car before i'd got round to installing them) so i fitted that while i was at it:

100_4154.JPG

Nah they went for stupid money. They're £20 new, and the used pair went for £46 iirc.

Jeeez!!! So did you get new ones then or still looking? There's a lad on SRS breaking a S4 and all his prices are well below the usual S/RS bar.

Not got em yet, moneys going towards getting the car actually working, rather than adding nice to have bits!

So another late update.

Things are moving along nicely, car is on its wheels, and the engine is nearly finished and ready to go back in.

Some photos:

P1040177.JPG

P1040178.JPG

Engine Currently looks something like this:

P1040179.JPG

P1040180.JPG

Gonna try and get it into the car over the next couple days.

Grr this car likes to test my patience.

At 4:30 yestarday i had the engine ready to go in, and had one hour before i had to stop and start making dinner. So i set to, and after lots of swearing had four bellhousing bolts done up. Then i noticed a problem. The bellhousing also bolts to the sump, with four M10 bolts. Cept my sump has been spaced away from the block by around 4mm due to me using a rubber sump gasket with integrated windage tray, from a 1Z TDI engine. So these bolts didnt line up. By then it was 5:39, so i packed everythign away and made tea.

Today i decided (after lazing around for hours, avoiding the problem) that i'd have to remove the engine, and fix it by slotting out the holes in the sump. Engine out, holes slotted, and engine back in found that three of the four bolts now fitted, with one still not playing ball. I decided that 3 out of four was plenty, so torqued them up and got the engine dropped onto its mounts.

I then managed to get the starter installed, some wiring connected and some brackets and suchlike tightened up, before i'd had enough for the day and came in for dinner.

As it stands, it looks something like this:

P1040187.JPG

P1040186.JPG

Unfortunately i cant do too much more as i'm waiting for various small niggly annoying parts, including the gaskets for the turbo, and belt for the anciliary drive.

Will probably connect up the rest of the wiring tomorrow, and make good some coolant connections and other minor parts until i get the remaining bits next week.

After what seems like an eternity fiddling with small stupid parts its finally running:

First Start After Rebuild - A4 1.8T - YouTube

The throttle body is faulty and as a result the car wont idle, so i need to swap in a spare. Otherwise i need to sort out the tax and insurance and run it up to temperature and ensure theres no leaks before running it in.

Oh and incase your wondering, the "STOP" from the missus was because I'd left the return line off the PAS pump to purge the old fluid out, and that short time running had drained the reservoir of fresh fluid.

Enjoying this so far

I love threads like this!

I wish i was as technically minded as some folk.. id love to do this stuff...

Great stuff - cant wait to see more

good stuff seen its been a while. hows the shed running now m8?

Not much has changed tbh.

missus crashed it into the gate and made it look even more sheddy, luckily i have a replacement bumper and my brother had a pair of wings, so i need to get those painted up over the next few months when the weather improves and swap them in.

ME7 upgrades still waiting in the wings, again that should move along soon once the crap weather goes away!

I got some S4 wheels for it, so once they go on i can look at fitting my 4pot Brembos as well.