word of warning

fARQUARE

Reaction score
To any tdi owners who run on wvo, please make sure you dilute with a suitable amount of normal derv. One fifth of a tank derv + vwo + minus 15 degrees = snow fail....

Filled tank with veg oil as usual 2 weeks ago on top of the £10 of derv to keep the starting sweet. Because of the fact it snowed massive amounts in a short space of time over the weekend I couldnt actiually get to work till thursday which meant the car sat still for 4 consecutive days. On the 4th day about 30 miles into my 60 mile commute the car started loosing power when opening the throttle coupled with stalling, not good. managed to get to work and call the aa for a second opinion - waxing fuel was the diagnosis.

managed to drive home later that night with the car showing simuilar symptoms, when I got home I changed the fuel filter to see if that would help - it didnt and the car wouldnt start as the fuel was totally frozen in the housing.
much messing about with a halogen heater the next day managed to free up the frozen mess enough to get the car started so we set off for a weekend in a swank hotel we had booked after siphoning the tank and re-filling with derv.

again, 30 miles in trouble struck. The alternator pulley decided it would rather reside in my cooliing fan leaving the serp belt free to jump off the pulley and spin on the alternator shaft causing the battery light tto come on at certain points in the rev range. Didnt make the hotel on night 1:....

decided the best plan of attack was a new alt for £180, fitted on sat morning (in the snow again) and got it all back together in time to face the 5 hour to inverness in the snow to make night 2 of our nice relaxing weekend.
I love it when a plan comes together

For starters, why are you running WVO/SVO without a fuel heater?

Only result of thats going to be a gummed up engine, even in the summer.

Running any more than a 50:50 mix is just stupid without proper fuel heating, and thats assuming mild weather.

If your going to run it, do it properly and convert it into Biodiesel. Much better for the engine and no issues with waxing in the winter.

Perhaps a terminology crossed wire, I say wvo but it's fully bone fide bio diesel as i've mentioned before.

My apologies! To me WVO means using raw waste oil, rather than converting it into bio.

It also seems that proper B100 freezes at or around 0c! You can get it a bit lower by using fresh oil rather than waste stuff, or mixing it with dino.

Aye, lesson learned. Guys at the place I buy it mentioned it might be harder to start when it's coldbut not that it would wax up totally. Still, i'll just keep a mind to dilute what ii have in jerry cans untill the temps come back a bit.
the fuel filter was probably needing changed anyway, 8k ish on bio after the initial change.

the only thing now is I have an intermittant fault on the fuel temp sensor which I believe is in the pump so i'm not going to go messing about with. If it's like my last 31-10 on the egr it will be a broken wire.

in more exciting news I got my right click remote entry system delivered, i'll have a look at the wiring on the pump when i'm doing the locking.