Retrofitting Cruise Control

tonya4

TDi Powerrrr
Reaction score
My 2000 w reg a4 tdi hasn't got cruise control,but my 2001 y reg a4 tdi breaker has,so i'm wondering how hard it is to fit the cruise control to the w reg?Both cars are ajm engine code.
thanks
tony

I think i's fairly straight forward, basicly swapping the stalks and a bit of loom and then recoding with vag-com, but i may be wrong

as tuffty says, swap the stalk and fit the pins into the ECU connector, then turn the feature "on" with vagcom.

Not sure if the OEM loom will come out easily though

Axios has fitted cruise control to his b5, could have a chat with him on here and see if he could help.

Yup, i've got the stalk installed but not had chance to do the wiring bit of it yet.
Its on my ever growing wiring lift.

You will need to remove:=-
The small section of plastic around the steering wheel.
Remove the clocks.
You dont really need to remove all of the above but it will make it easier for you to remove the section of loom your after.
But you will need to remove the steering wheel, stalks and lower section.

I assume the CC wires are packed in with the rest of the cables from the stalk, if this is the case then you'll need to remove the CC cables from the main loom and carefully remove the pins from the ECU block (white i think). This will be a bit of a pain in the ***, so i'd opt for the other option of taking the stalk off the breaker and buy the loom from kufatec.de
Its a simple plug and play in to your new motor and access to vagcom.

Hope it helps.

isn't there an issue of if the gas pedal is driven by wire or something?
I've fitted one on my Bora (2001) as indicated, didn't realise the Audi (2000) would have the same process. thought is was a lot more tricky...

isn't there an issue of if the gas pedal is driven by wire or something?
I've fitted one on my Bora (2001) as indicated, didn't realise the Audi (2000) would have the same process. thought is was a lot more tricky...

If its fly by wire, then its plug and play.
So I've read.

Yep, DBW is easy.

Cable throttle cars are an ****, although i had the old FWD fitted up with cruise after a lot of messing about.

all tdi's are dbw, most facelift petrol are except qts, petrols will have an epc warning light (electronic pedal control?)

quick test for DBW is to accelerate as normal then press the brake with your left foot if the revs die off its DBW

It used to work in my old 1.8t, not tried it on the tdi...

One thing i always wondered though is does this make 'heel & toeing' impossible in dbw cars?

or just look for a throttle cable?

I'm having issues with my CC wiring. Its doing my head in.
I just can't get my head around it.
I can wire in rear electric windows but not 5 wires for CC. lol

The thing your on about above used to work in diesel cars as a fuel cutoff. Easiest thing to do is just look for a cable at the inlet surely?